Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Steps need replaced
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Steps need replaced
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted
Does anyone know the series or model number of the steps that I have on my 1990 Regency? I am not sure but I think they may be Kwikee steps. There is actually only one step to comes down. I looked for the numbers on the steps and can't find anything. I need to replace them because there has been some damage in the past and they are getting to where they are not working very well. I would also be willing to purchase steps off of someone on this forum if they would have some available and they would fit.

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
kwikee step on Amazon

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Doorman, yep already checked Amazon. Are these steps on Amazon pretty much standard that will fit on a Barth too? Just want to make sure I select the right model number.

4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
We just purchased a used set of steps that were bent from backing into something. They are Series 32 with a date of 1999-2003. They have two steps and are powered. I believe Regencies are powered steps. Ground off all the rivets, straightened the arms and the frame and had them powder coated. Kwikee won't sell rivets - they will sell a complete frame, so we used shoulder bolts that work better and the whole deal cost about $100. Since its only steel they are easy to repair - assuming motor is ok. Now our 1981 Euro will have new power steps instead of the manual pull out that had long since been removed.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I bought the Kwikee #39 new, as my steps were badly deteriorated. I did have to replace the NC switch with a NO, and IIRC, had to swap wires. I also had to redrill the mounting holes.

I also discovered one of the wires had 5 pieces butted together.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Fred & Cindy,

I was in the same boat (RV?) as you with regards to a broken KwiKee step (single step model). I spent many months trying to sort out different step models, source a good used one, etc... with little luck. Finally, I simply crawled under the coach one day and cut the wires and unbolted the old unit. This, of course, after days of squirting both penetrating oil (PB Blaster) and my favorite bolt loosening concoction ATF mixed with Acetone 50/50.

Next, I measured the holes (center-to-center) that were already drilled/tapped into the underside of my Barth and voila'! Together with the outside dimensions of the unit and the measurements of the bolt placements, I ordered the correct fitment of a new set of KwiKee steps and it bolted right up.

I'm thinking (if I remember correctly) that model changes had been made since my coach was new and even though numbers didn't match, the important bolt configuration did and the old wiring was color coded to connect right up to the new one.

Also, use a small jack to hold the new unit up in place if you try to bolt it in by yourself. Best luck.

Kirk

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Davis
posted Hide Post
I have a 25' Barth Regal and mine has a series 28 single step. The owner's manual says the tread is 23 3/4" wide and the frame measures 5 7/8" tall when retracted. It has the light and opens and closes automatically when you open and close the door and you can switch it off inside the coach. Amazon sells them and PPL motorhome parts sells them.

Posts: 46 | Location: Sanford,NC | Member Since: 10-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Welcome Back, Fred & Cindy [Logout]

Thanks guys... I orders the Kwikee 26 series single step, the same as the old step. Should arrive any day.

4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Picture of Doug.A
posted Hide Post
Hi I know this is an old post but...

I also have a 22ft Regal (1990 - 91 model) and wondered if you can remember the model of step you got as mine were broken off by the previous owner but the actual mounting frame etc. appears intact...[

Thanks, Doug

QUOTE]Originally posted by Kirk & Elise:
Fred & Cindy,

I was in the same boat (RV?) as you with regards to a broken KwiKee step (single step model). I spent many months trying to sort out different step models, source a good used one, etc... with little luck. Finally, I simply crawled under the coach one day and cut the wires and unbolted the old unit. This, of course, after days of squirting both penetrating oil (PB Blaster) and my favorite bolt loosening concoction ATF mixed with Acetone 50/50.

Next, I measured the holes (center-to-center) that were already drilled/tapped into the underside of my Barth and voila'! Together with the outside dimensions of the unit and the measurements of the bolt placements, I ordered the correct fitment of a new set of KwiKee steps and it bolted right up.

I'm thinking (if I remember correctly) that model changes had been made since my coach was new and even though numbers didn't match, the important bolt configuration did and the old wiring was color coded to connect right up to the new one.

Also, use a small jack to hold the new unit up in place if you try to bolt it in by yourself. Best luck.

Kirk[/QUOTE]

Posts: 25 | Location: Tualatin Oregon USA | Member Since: 10-08-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Years ago I replaced our single step with a dual step that I got from a place the sold surplus RV stuff.

Anyway I still have extra parts. The motor is a ford window motor. the rest can be rebuilt.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have single step steps on our 1990 REGAL . I made them into a z going through a construction site on l-75 in cincinnati . anyway with the help of Woody at the welding shop and a 5# hammer and his anvil , and Mary at the powder coating company , they look great and work manually . maybe next year i will reattach the power motor . happy now .
i saved the plastic step incase i make them into a z again .

Posts: 65 | Location: Royal Oak, Michigan | Member Since: 06-14-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post