Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Electrical Issue
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Electrical Issue
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi everyone, while night driving our Breakaway the other night (only second time since new ownership)all the headlights and dash lights intermittently shut off. Sometime when I wiggle the switch, it seems to bring the lights back on. Once, I was standing outside the coach (at night while engine running) and they went off..then 30 sec.s later they turned back on..Also the switch shaft and collar is REALLY HOT...do you guys think a switch is all I need or is it something deeper? Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Hot switch suggests high resistance in the circuit, maybe in the switch, maybe in the connections, maybe elsewhere. Bad connections are most likely. Try pulling the switch, cleaning up the connections (they're probably standard automotive spade connectors). If you want to be sure, go ahead and buy a new switch, unless, of course it's something exotic and expensive that you can't get at your local auto parts emporium.

The intermittent on-off situation could be a loose connection, a bad wire, or there might be a breaker in the system that cuts out when there's too much resistance, and resets automatically. If it's the latter, and the do-it-yourself steps don't solve the problem, it needs a hands-on diagnosis by a pro.

If you pull the switch, check all the wires for corrosion, and possible broken strands where they're attached to the female connector. Odds are, the original connectors are crimped onto the wires, and these connections, though good, quick, and easy, can corrode over time, and develop high resistance. Also, vibration can cause strands to break. If too many do, that's trouble, too.

Make sure all your wires are solid, and everything's clean, neat, and free of corrosion, and the odds are, your problem will be solved.

Anyone with other ideas is welcome to chime in. At 75, I've seen a lot, but I don't quite know it all yet.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
If corrosion if found, after it's fully cleaned, a good preventative is dielectric grease. Apply a tiny bit to the spade (male) portion of the connection with a Q-tip. The only caution here is the grease is a conductor, so whereever it goes electricity will follow.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roy,Bill, and Eddie. All excellent advise. I'll let everyone know what I find. By the way, I wish Roy lived in my neighborhood. 75 year olds know EVERYTHING. Plus they seem to enjoy sharing what they know...

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post