Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Propane generator
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Propane generator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
One of the main reasons for mounting the vaporizer on the engine was heat. It keeps the regulator from freezing up. Even though you are sending liquid propane to the engine, the engine requires vapor to operate. Under heavy load quite a bit of propane is converted from liquid to gas and if you remember your physics it requires to to convert.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
The vaporizer has coolant flowing thru it to assist with vaporizing. The propane tube going from the vaporizer to the engine in normal operation is hot.

I actually shortened the tube a bit from the previous location but mounted the vaporizer higher up the firewall with the outlet pointing down, that way any oil build-up will go straight into the engine and not foul the vaporizer.

BTW, the oil does not come from the engine, it is a residue out of the liquid propane.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
BTW, the oil does not come from the engine, it is a residue out of the liquid propane.

I have always wondered if any of this oil accumulates in the propane tank. But not enough to remove and upend the tank.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
The vaporizer and venturi had just about a teaspoon full of oil that I was able to get out, this is after 500+ hours of operation. Of course no way of telling how much oil was actually burned along with the propane vapor.

I was told the oil is added for corrosion issues in the tanks etc. I would imagine some oil will collect in the tank.

I got the vaporizer re-build kit but it is a complicated process and will require a test set up, I don't want to deal with this now so will do later this winter.

Still haven't gotten the governor settled down yet, works but when cold wants to hunt a bit.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post