Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    460 to 5.9 Cummins
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

460 to 5.9 Cummins
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello all, Don here with a question...or two. I replaced a 460 gas engine with a cummins 5.9 diesel with 22K miles on a major. It is rated at 200hp.
My question is this: I have a 545 allison with no overdrive.
My tire diameter is 34".
I have 19.5 wheels.
I weigh over 20K.
Does anyone out there have a diesel with those size tires and no o/d ?
If so what rear end ratio is being used.
The wrecking yard sold me 3:21 gears and they are way too high. I am coming up with 3:73 gears. If there is a coach out there with these components will you let me know what rear end ratio you have. Thanks, Don

Posts: 3 | Location: Mammoth, AZ | Member Since: 06-22-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
5.9B Cummins, 542 Allison, 8r19.5 tires, and 3.73 Rear End. This is a very common Barth Breakaway configuration.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gary, it sounds like I might be in there with the 3:73 gears. What RPM do you guys run with this running gear.
Am thinking about getting a little more HP and RPM. I have the inline fuel pump and after cooled.
I believe mine is vacuum operated off the fuel pump. It seems to be frozen and no vacuum present. Any idea's??? Don
Hey, we go over to Yuma every winter. Have 5 friends over there....

Posts: 3 | Location: Mammoth, AZ | Member Since: 06-22-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Gary and I have the same diffy, but different trannies. I run at around 2100 RPM at 60 in straight drive (1:1), mentally correcting for the error in my tach.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good info guys. I wonder if anyone has replaced a 545 with a later model OD unit. I know there is computer issues but is there a swap available?
What engine are you running 2100 @ 60 MPH?
I would like to get same results. I am getting over 10MPG but was climbing hills at 10MPH in 1st gear. Had trans heating issues also...Don

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have the AMG 6.5L TD 230HP, 4L80E tranny.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I replaced my 542 with an allison 2000. Do a search and you will find what I wrote back then.

With the 542 I ran about 2200 at 60 do to transmission slippage and almost 2600 to do 65. And yes it would overheat on a long montain grade.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with vacuum off the engine. There is no vacuum with a diesel unless some sort of generator is added.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post