Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Help 89 Oshkosh RV, Belts keep flying off
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Help 89 Oshkosh RV, Belts keep flying off
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi, I have an 89 Oshkosh, Pace Arrow 34 ft, John Deere model listed on title, class A, Ford 460 gas motor. On a trip when I got on the freeway the belts fly off. Had emergency service 3 times and a school bus repair place work on putting new belts on it and did not see what was causing the problem. I ended up putting it in storage in St. Louis, Mo because the problem kept happening. My understand is that this RV was built by Freightliner, it was one of the last years they did Gas RV's. I would appreciate any info about my situation as I am going to return to St. Louis from NJ to try to get it fixed right and return to NJ. Thank you in advance.

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Member Since: 07-14-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge "Oshkosh" and "John Deere" are not the same thing, your chassis is one or the other and your title is a good clue. As
far as Freightliner is concerned they did not get
into the RV chassis business until 1995 when they bought the RV chassis business of Oshkosh and the
factory they still use in Gaffney SC. Freightliner will service late Oshkosh chassis but I don't know about John Deere. However your engine problem should be servicable many places.

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
The way I understood it... John Deere was bought out by Oshkosh and then Freightliner bought them out. So now, if you need a Oshkosh or John Deere part, you've got to contact Freightliner.

That being said, we are talking about a regular FORD 460 motor. If you can supply me with your vin# I'll try to cross it over to see which belts are on there.

You never said if it was 2 serpentine belts or 4 vee belts. I'm assuming it has carburetor but the 460 in my 1988 service trucks had MPFI. None of the earlier Barths had MPFI until I believe 1991.

If you have a serpentine belt, I would look at the idler tensioner. You did say that the belt came off - is that like it fell off?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Other way around. John Deere brought back the Dodge M600 chassis sometime during the 80's. It was later sold to Oshkosh and then to Freightliner. They were all 460 Ford powered.

Belts normally come off when the pullys are misaligned.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:

Belts normally come off when the pullys are misaligned.

Or damaged or improperly manufactured.

I had a friend with a Brougham on a Chevy chassis that ate belts. Every time I went with him, I ended up putting in a new belt or two for him. Finally, he took it somewhere and they replaced the crankshaft pulley. It was undamaged and looked good to my nekkid eye, but it failed the runout test when an indicator was stuck on it.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
on the 89 Oshkosh, which most likely is the john deere chassis with a 460 ford. I have a mallard with the same chassis. believe it or not I bought mine nearly brand new 2 years ago. My coach had 2700 miles on it two years ago. I blew a belt because it was dry rotted original. I have the complete JD chassis manual, problem is the belts are so cluttered that they are narrow belts. I had the air belt come off and threw all the belts or twisted them. Everytime you tightent the alt belt it loosens the air pump belt.

Put brand new belts on it at the required tightening specs if you need them i will email u the specs. retighten the alt belt if your belt squeels when the trans shifts. Also retighten the air pump belt.

Posts: 1 | Location: north east upstate ny | Member Since: 09-14-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madrone:
To the best of my knowledge "Oshkosh" and "John Deere" are not the same thing, your chassis is one or the other and your title is a good clue. As
far as Freightliner is concerned they did not get
into the RV chassis business until 1995 when they bought the RV chassis business of Oshkosh and the
factory they still use in Gaffney SC. Freightliner will service late Oshkosh chassis but I don't know about John Deere. However your engine problem should be servicable many places.

Our title shows the make as Oshkosh and the model as John Deere. Like Jeep Patriot. Oshkosh John Deere.

Posts: 4 | Location: Indiana | Member Since: 10-08-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
The related thread, in which Donna posted, helps clear up the confusion.
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/6811068061

So does this:
https://www.classicwinnebagos....dex.php?topic=2908.0

But, the chassis maker is a moot point in terms of a belt/pully problem.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post