Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Water Pump blues
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Water Pump blues
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
While changing belts on the '85 Regal this morning, found that the water pump was leaking. Would like advice on buying a new, high performance water pump. Don't want to buy anything made in unknown places if we can avoid it.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
son in law reccomends a 'Flo Cooler # 1671 from Summit Racing. Its made in USA, a high performance cooler that pumps 30% more water a low RPMs. $105. NAPA had a Tru Flo from an unknown country. Comments?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
You could replace it with an elctric water pump an electric fan and eliminate the belt. Would increase your HP and be more efficient. Corvette uses this setup in their race vehicles.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The water pump I installed last year was a high volume Summit model, the same as you mentioned, I think. So far no trouble. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5187 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Have the Summit pump but have a problem with the lower radiator hose. The one that was on there is a green molded hose made by gates part # 21442. The inside is red. There is a coil spring inside the hose. I ordered a 21442 from NAPA and it was Gates, but black with no coil spring inside. Called Gates. They said the green one was made for GM and isn't available to me. Also said they would not put the current version of the 21442 on a motor home. Has anyone replaced the lower rad hose on a 85ish P30 454 engine? What lower hose did you use? The top hose is fine but the lower hose had a groove worn in it due to a lose alternator belt.
Aint it fun? Mad
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Replaced lower hose on '79 w/454....readily available at RockAuto and others. Just worked
the anti-collapse spring loose from old hose
and installed in new one.....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Have the Summit pump but have a problem with the lower radiator hose. The one that was on there is a green molded hose made by gates part # 21442. The inside is red. There is a coil spring inside the hose. I ordered a 21442 from NAPA and it was Gates, but black with no coil spring inside. Called Gates. They said the green one was made for GM and isn't available to me. Also said they would not put the current version of the 21442 on a motor home. Has anyone replaced the lower rad hose on a 85ish P30 454 engine?

Coupla times.

quote:
What lower hose did you use?

Gates 21442 with a spring from an older hose inside..

GM spec is 14049500 for 82-87.

Gates crosses that number to a 21442

Gates still recommends the 21442 on their site for 82-87 P30. Did they say why they didn't rec it on a MH?

quote:
The top hose is fine but the lower hose had a groove worn in it due to a lose alternator belt.

There is supposed to be a hose protector between the AIR pump and the belt to prevent rubbing if belt is loose. Loose belts are scary. They can develop a harmonic that will make it darn near jump off the pulley. Ask any old Corvair wrench.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
talked to the Gates technical department and the guy was really strange. I tried to get him to tell me why he said he wouldn't use their current iteration of the 21442, but he wouldn't offer anything. He did say that no hose manufacturer was using the anti-collapse springs anymore which is not true. Anyway, I'll use the spring from the old one and probably a Goodyear hose from Summit Racing. I talked to a Goodyear engineer who was much more helpful and think I'll go with them. Hose wall thickness is same as the old Gates. BTW, the hose protector must have been removed by a PO. Live and learn. Since we have now removed the smog pump, the problem should go away. But a very good comment on belt tightening. Will become a routine inspection from now on.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted Hide Post
i replaced mine with the flow kooler pump but never did find the correct lower hose!! But I did notice a difference in engine temp also used there recommended thermostat. it was a Robert Shaw 195.

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 298 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Rick & Marcia
posted Hide Post
I know it's a little late but O'Reilly auto parts can usually get me anything for a P30.

Tere, please send me those photos you took. Great meeting you two. You two have a lot of knowledge that I wish I could "download". If you need any other pics or info let me know. Hope you get it back on the road soon.

It was a good time at Raccoon Mtn. Nice people. Fun interaction. It was like taking a college class for me ROTFLMAO Hope to see you again.

Rick
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Have the Summit pump but have a problem with the lower radiator hose. The one that was on there is a green molded hose made by gates part # 21442. The inside is red. There is a coil spring inside the hose. I ordered a 21442 from NAPA and it was Gates, but black with no coil spring inside. Called Gates. They said the green one was made for GM and isn't available to me. Also said they would not put the current version of the 21442 on a motor home. Has anyone replaced the lower rad hose on a 85ish P30 454 engine? What lower hose did you use? The top hose is fine but the lower hose had a groove worn in it due to a lose alternator belt.
Aint it fun? Mad
Jim

Fall River, WI
Year:: 1985, 1985
Model:: 22-FP1 28-FP3
Length:: 22' 28'
Engine:: 454 Chevy 7.4 w/3 speed auto both coaches
Data Tag Number:: 8506 3225 22FP1 / 8504 3204 28FP3

For Wi and UW/Bucky fans please look at marciasparks.com

Posts: 96 | Location: Fall River, WI | Member Since: 10-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post