Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    What could it be?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What could it be?
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
We're on the way back north to NH from Florida. Had gone about 1000 miles with no issues except a shredded tire on the trailer when I was about to pass a semi at 60MPH and the rig just stalled out. I was able to get it into neutral and restart before we rolled to a stop and everything went fine from there on in, we went about 150 more miles before stopping.

Rig has 32750 miles on a Cummins 8.3. We have put 15000 of those with never a bobble. Filled it about two hours before this incident. I'm wondering what the heck could have caused it.

I was mashing the pedal to pass when it happened and I waited a good hour until I tried that again, but it responded as normal. I also checked in and around the motor for anything suspicious with nothing apparent.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Before the guys that really know what they're talking about tell you what happened, I'll put in my 2 cents worth. I would say it's a fuel issue, something like a bubble of air in the fuel line. Glad you got re-started and hope you have no further problems, but a little hiccup like that can put your nerves on end.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Fuel Shutdown Solenoid Plunger turned off your injector pump. Did you notice anything else that is electrical that stopped working too?

If your solenoid turned off, and you had full voltage to the solenoid, then it is a defective solenoid. If, you have no voltage to this solenoid, and the key is on, then you have a bad wire or a defective 5 pole relay.

If the solenoid is starting to fail and it overheated the circuit breaker, you'll have no voltage and you'll still eventually need to replace the shutdown solenoid.

Hard to tell based on this. I would need a test light, volt meter and an amp gauge to tell for sure.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Danny, You're right about the nerves.

Bill, thanks! I didn't notice anything electrical shut down, but I was a bit distracted by trying to get my Barth from the far left lane over to the right breakdown on a major interstate so the Space Shuttle could have landed next to me without me noticing!!!

If it happens again, I'll try to figure it out based on your analysis. I recall years ago having a Thomas Bus with a Cummins 5.9 that wouldn't start due to a stuck fuel solenoid, but that was fixed with a stick and some prodding. If this happens again, I may just replace the solenoid for good measure. What's a ball park figure for the solenoid and rely?

Thanks again,

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Corey, When we bought our coach it was in Arizona. Driving back to Georgia on the second day of the trip, exactly the same thing happened. Driving along on I-10 at about 65MPH and the engine simply died. I got over to the shoulder and in a state of shock wondered what had happened. I turned the key off and tried to start the engine. It started immediately and has never done that again.

I later had a problem with the engine starting and dying after only running for 30 to 45 seconds. It would do this just often enough to be aggravating and causing concern. After talking to Bill, I changed the engine shut down module and have never had the problem again. IIRC, the module for a 3208 was about $120.00.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I later had a problem with the engine starting and dying after only running for 30 to 45 seconds. It would do this just often enough to be aggravating and causing concern. After talking to Bill, I changed the engine shut down module and have never had the problem again. IIRC, the module for a 3208 was about $120.00.

Sounds like very good insurance. Despite the optimistic discussion in another post, I prefer to not make memories in the breakdown department if I can prevent it.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I had this problem the first day I owned my Barth. Replaced the fuel solenoid. Never had the problem again.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
I also had a similar situation several months ago and replaced the "run solenoid" based on some feedback on this forum and it seems to have fixed the problem. But I had other electrical failures at the time of engine shut down so my situation may have been different. Where is this 'fuel solenoid' in case I need to work on it?

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post