Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Body chassis bolt inspection
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Body chassis bolt inspection
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
Thanks to Mwrench, I recently began to replace the bolts that hold the body to the chassis of my breakaway. When Ed showed me how lose they were at the Indiana this needed to be done.

It is not a job for the feint of heart.

At least three of the bolts were snapped off clean. Four others had about a half inch of play, meaning the body could move up and down, not to mention twist when I used the levelers.

As I remove the old bolts, I redrill the holes to a full half inch. I am using hardened 1/2 inch bolts and 5/16 inch steel plates to prevent the bolts from moving around.

I recommend that you check your bolts to make sure your chassis is safe.

I will post pictures when I get further along with the project.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard_Muise:
Thanks to Mwrench, I recently began to replace the bolts that hold the body to the chassis of my breakaway. When Ed showed me how lose they were at the Indiana this needed to be done.

It is not a job for the feint of heart.

At least three of the bolts were snapped off clean. Four others had about a half inch of play, meaning the body could move up and down, not to mention twist when I used the levelers.

As I remove the old bolts, I redrill the holes to a full half inch. I am using hardened 1/2 inch bolts and 5/16 inch steel plates to prevent the bolts from moving around.

I recommend that you check your bolts to make sure your chassis is safe.

I will post pictures when I get further along with the project.

A HUGE undertaking. Good Luck! Don't bite off 2 much at a time. You went to grade 8 bolts didn't you?

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post