Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    dull head lights
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

dull head lights
 Login now/Join our community

posted
1990 Regency 32ft. head lights not bright. Would like to replace with newer lights( halogen or blues ) any info as where to get the right size and fit --- or--- problems with doing this would be appreciated thank you .Fred

Posts: 14 | Location: Ft. Myers.Fl. | Member Since: 07-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Fred and Kathy,

I hope life is treating you well down there in the land of sunshine. Why don't you put some in a envelope and send it up here to Minnesota.

Fred I respectfully question whether your headlight brightness is the problem. We went through this same exercise, especially when we were driving into Sauk Ste. Marie at night in a rain storm. I had to stop and get out to see if my light were on.

Here's what I think the deal is and how I solved it. In all of our new passenger cars they use the super high reflecting light assembles. On most motorhome they use the standard sealed beam headlights. Plus these headlights are a couple feet higher off of the road. so what I have done in the short term is start turning on my fog lights. This add substantial brightness to the road. I am also planning on adding some driving lights next to my fog lights for additional help.

Now don't laugh. However, my biggest assist in this situation is the addition of yellow, polarized night time driving clip-ons for my glasses. My optometrist explains that when we get older our eyes/brains are unable to deal with the light/dark contrast. In fact, he say that the more headlights, and even street lights there are, the darker the black street will appear. So when I use these yellow, polarized clipons it is like fliping on a light switch.

By the way, I have the halogen head lights and it doesn't make that big a difference.

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited May 25, 2002).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HankWadley
posted Hide Post
I've also had this problem with my 92 Breakaway which has halogens, except I have this wrinkle...the lows are too dim to be usable but the highs blow everybody off the road...they light up near and far, high and low and left and right like nothing I've ever seen, so they can only be used in Montana. They have all been replaced and I even took the rig to Barth in Milford and had them check the aim/function, with no improvement. I've re-aimed them all to be very low and it's improved some, but still not good. And I can see fine at night driving either of our cars, and can see that other drivers have much better lights when driving our Barth, so I don't think the EyeDoc's advice would help. If anybody knows a solution, it looks like at least two of us would appreciate it!

Posts: 58 | Location: Pell City, Alabama, USA | Member Since: 04-12-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Lee Merriman>
posted
You can install a relay from your battery to your light switch. Your high beams has one already but your low beams does not have one. Install your relay and your lights will get bright.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Lee, What type of relay would you use? Would it be the same as the bright lights?

Al Benton

Posts: 75 | Location: Villa Rica, Ga, USA | Member Since: 03-15-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lee for the great hint. I talked to my RV Guru and he said it is easy (for him) to check to see if you are getting good voltage to the headlights. You should have 12-14 volts at the headlight socket. If it is less than that then you will have low lights. He thinks that Lee's fix is the way to go if you have low voltage at the light socket because there may be too much resitance through the normal channels.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANKS DAVE !!! LOOKS LIKE I AM NOT ALONE IN THE DARK .WILL CHECK OUT THESE THINGS AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT COMES ALONG.FRED

Posts: 14 | Location: Ft. Myers.Fl. | Member Since: 07-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Fred, we're all in the dark some of the time. When it comes to this tech stuff, I am in the dark most of the time...

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited May 29, 2002).]