Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Waste Tanks are very repairable
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Waste Tanks are very repairable
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
If you have a cracked or leaking black or gray water tank, you should know that these tanks are very easily repairable. In most cases you don't need a new tank. I used epoxy resin and fiber glass fabric from Home Depot. The fix will probably outlast the rest of the tank.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Just great. I used your standard two part epoxy that you can get from Home Depot however, by RV guru, Roland tells me that you standard PVC cement or ABS cement works much better, especially if your aren't as diligent at cleaning the area. We just cameback from another trip today. I think I have put 6,000 miles on since the repair with our an incident. Now if you want to spend a little more money and go to a little more hassle. Then, drop the tank, clean it our reeeaaal good and then have a guy that does plastic welding put a bead on the inside and out. Much cheaper than a new tank by 100's and will still last forever.

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dave, for the info. I have a very slight leak at the joint between the tank and the pipe to the valve. I'll try re-cementing it first. Hopefully I won't have to drop the tank.

Posts: 23 | Location: clinton, MI, lenawee | Member Since: 01-02-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
To repair an ABS tank, I make a putty of ABS filings and ABS cement. It is almost as good as a weld, and you can build it up and force it into cracks.

I do not have much faith in repairing Polyethelene tanks by any means other than welding. A small leak can be sealed with Eternabond.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited March 12, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post