Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cummins Diesel Fuel Filter Air Lock Up
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cummins Diesel Fuel Filter Air Lock Up
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi Folks- its been over a year since I contributed any useful information to the site so I thought I might start out with this information which might be of some interest to our members.

I recently changed the fuel filters on my 1990 Regency with 8.3 Cummins engine. It has three filters on it. The first is a large Racor water separator located down on the frame. This is an accessory addition to provide some additional protection for the other filters mounted high on the left side of the engine. These two are Cummins provided. One is another water separator and the other is the final to the injection pump.

I changed the Racor first and filled it with diesel fuel and then started the engine- no problems, After that I changed the other two filling them both with diesel. I then pushed the primer button on the engine driven lift pump until I met resistance. Supposedly this should have cleared the air from the system. However the engine would not start. After a couple of hours of frustration, I called a diesel mechanic friend and he told me that filling the upper two with fuel and using the primer would not dispel the air. He said to always leave the final filter backed off two turns and then use the primer to pump fuel until it over flows the filter and then tighten it up. Hold down the accelerator and start engine.

I backed off the final and got a huge hiss of air and followed his procedure and the engine started right up.

Hope this might help others changing their filters.

Posts: 60 | Location: Saint John, N.B. Canada | Member Since: 09-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
All right! Let's hear it for the diesel guys! Thumbs Up

I have not replaced my filters yet but I know from other diesels air is a big issue. Thanks for the tip Clint. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
There are 6 diesel engines around my property. All six are in running order. From a two cylinder Kubota to a 10.4 liter cat.

I am a diesel nut. In the past I had several Volkswagen Diesels and two Mercedes Diesels. Maybe I am a "Diesel Junkie" along with being a Barth JUNKIE!
Keep the diesel fuel filters clean and free from water.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
On both 5.9L and 8.3L Cummins engines the final fuel filter before the injection pump usually mounted high on the engine near the injection pump has a bleeder screw that is located on top of the filter assembly. I mount the new filter empty and then use the priming plunger on the lift pump to fill the filter until the filter is full and no more air is coming out of the bleeder. Leaving the filter loose does the same thing but I prefer to use the bleeder screw as it is higher and a better chance to get all the air out.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed:

Thanks for the info. I did not know about the bleeder and my mechanic didn't mention it. This is much easier than filling the filter and much less mess. You didn't mention the water separator which is located right beside the final. Do you leave this dry as well and use the plunger to fill?

Clint

Posts: 60 | Location: Saint John, N.B. Canada | Member Since: 09-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Yeah I always fill the water separator filter as full as I can first. I only have the two. The filter is located low on the chassis and I do get some gravity flow if I have a full tank before I start with the filter change.

I make sure all areas around the filters is squeaky clean before I start.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I hope this is not seen as excessive thread-drift...
In a week, I am headed to a highly-regarded German diesel mechanic in East Texas. having him replace my eighteen year old rubber fuel lines -- to both the Cummins 8.3 and the 3 cyl diesel generator engine.
It is the latter that initially reveals porous fuel lines. The engine stumbles and stalls. The fuel pump for the genset is a tiny cartridge thing. At first I thought it was a small fuel valve. It doesn't have enough suction to adequately fuel the engine if much air is getting sucked in through bad lines. By contrast, the lift pump for the big Cummins can manage until a much greater amount of air is being infiltrated.

My local mechanic thought the problem was algae clogging, based on brown grunge seen on fuel filters. So, I hired a mobile "fuel polishing" service. I watched them pump and triple-filter dirty fuel from the bottom of my LARGE fuel tank, until it was practically clear.
Before they left, I said "Okay, let's see if the generator will stay running... N O T! But, it did after the tech taped-up the worst area of accessible fuel line.

Unfortunately, the fuel line (like water and drain lines) are concealed and DIFFICULT to access in a "UniHome" monocoque construction Foretravel. In most motorhomes, replacing the fuel lines would be a "piece of cake" by comparison.
In conjunction with the above project, I plan to have Bernd (pron Bend) Ramspeck stop my engine oil leak -- by replacing timing cover seal, crank seal or both :^(

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Why not bypass them with stainless steel lines (not the braided type) along the frame rails and then use short rubber for the last foot? Ends the problem forever!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom and Julie:
Why not bypass them with stainless steel lines (not the braided type) along the frame rails and then use short rubber for the last foot? Ends the problem forever!

NO frame rails!!!

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Monocoque construction

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post