Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Roof Sealant
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Roof Sealant
 Login now/Join our community

<Mike B>
posted
Can anyone tell me the name of the product used as the roof sealant on a 1982 Barth? Or can someone direct me to an equivalent product that they've had good success with as a long term sealant?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,

Thanks for visiting the site. Hope you come back soon and often. Lee Merriman, the long time Pres. of the Barth Rangers once told me that he uses Kool Seal.

It is available at www.campingworld.com. I was going to use it around my vents which leaked a tiny bit in very heavy rain storms. But, I ended up going with Maxx Air vent covers and never had another problem.

Where exactly are you leaking??

------------------
Shortcuts alway take longer

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
In a previous life, I had the best luck with Liquid Roof. It actually stopped the chronic Southwind leaks at the front and rear cap joints to the roof.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HankWadley
posted Hide Post
I also use Kool-Seal...I reapply every two years. They have a filler/sealer product for serious cracks, etc. as well as a top coat which is all I've ever had to use. Side benefit is a significant reduction in solar gain through the roof...perhaps 8 to 10 degrees improvement on a sunny day down here in Alabama. It's also available at Home Depot/Lowe's/etc. at a good price.

Posts: 58 | Location: Pell City, Alabama, USA | Member Since: 04-12-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ yrs of active membership"
posted Hide Post
1987 - 33' Barth

Our roof appears to have been a tar with added gravel application! How do we recoat that?? I hope we don't have to pick out all the gravel bits to do it? What do I ask for at the store to get "roof tar?" Or can we just use Kool Seal over the top of it?

Maureen

Posts: 34 | Location: Michigan, USA | Member Since: 08-10-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I use Kool Seal right over my anti skid. I use Liquid roof at the opening seams and solar panel bolts.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ yrs of active membership"
posted Hide Post
Hold the press, I just checked some old notes here. We have a 1987 Regal SE, and the roof was originally coated with something called "Anvil" and then sand added for traction. I have no idea what Anvil is, but probably the stuff that looks like tar up there. I just hope Kool Seal will stick to it!

Posts: 34 | Location: Michigan, USA | Member Since: 08-10-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
http://www.anvilpaints.com/index.html Here is a link to ANVIL coatings - not sure if its the same stuff as called out in the last post but they mention RV roof coatings...

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
My 84 seems to have two coatings/sealants on the roof. One is the paint, the other is the thicker sealant around the flanges of vents, etc.
The thick stuff is still strong and resiliant. I had to use a heat gun and a putty knife to remove it. GOOD STUFF.

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Thank Maureen and KC for the info on Anvil. I called them and had a great conversation with their tech guy. If you want to clean the roof, he suggested a mixture of 1/3 bleach and 2/3 water. Spray it on with a "Hudson" type sprayer and let set for 10 minutes and then scrub and rinse. If you wish to re-apply the surface, you would used the Anvil #400 which is a latex product. He suggests after masking paint one coat east and west and then another north and south. He claims it is much better than Kool Seal and will last much longer. Also, since it is a latex product it is easy clean up.

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited September 16, 2002).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post