Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Roof Construction... for skylight?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Roof Construction... for skylight?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello... I'm thinking I'd like to add a skylight or two to an '84 Regency I'm buying and restoring... can anyone shed any light on the framing of the ceiling? That's one of the reasons I'm looking for wiring details... does anyone know if and where the wires ran in the ceilings?

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone? Thanks in advance...

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is anyone out there? Lee, you have lots of Barth knowledge, can you help me out? I don't want to damage the aluminum structure...

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
OK, someone is out there.

Does your coach have the original ceiling vents? Consider replacing them with either Fantastic or TurboMaxx. They both have translucent tops. That might be enough light for you. They also are quieter and MUCH more efficient. And they can be closed securely when it is cold outside.

The ceiling is framed like the sides. There is an aluminum channel frame riveted to the roof skin. The rivet lines on the roof will tell you where the frame is located. I would recommend using the standard 14 X 14 vent of the 22 X 22 "exit domes" or a skylight made specifically for RVs instead of the house-type skylights.

First, remove the ceiling panel. I don't remember for sure, but I think at least one wall panel must be removed first. That involves removing the inside window frame, too. It would be best to center the hole between the framechannelss. Draw the hole in the underside or the roof skin and drill a small hole in each corner. Then go on top and draw the lines from hole to hole and cut with a saber saw with a very fine blade. Then, make a new metal frame around the hole. You can use aluminum channel or, God forbid, wood. Your local aircraft sheet metal man could also bend up some aluminum channel for you. It would be best to attach the new framing to the existing frame channel strips, but not essential if you never step there. if you do use wood, be sure to rot proof it with copper napthanate or Woodlife or something. You can mix a Borax solution, too. Formula on request.

One other thought here. I am wondering of your Barth is too dark inside. Many old Barths had natural wood paneling on the walls, some of it quite dark. Light wallpaper really brightens things up, especially at night. We find that the light wallpaper accentuates the beautiful cherrywood cabinetry that is so uniquely Barth, especially by candle light. We have a bunch of candle lanterns lit at night. We like our Barth so much, we sit inside at night more than we did with our other RVs.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited June 26, 2003).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, Bill... thanks... I'm, assuming the vents are original, they look it. I'll consider the wall treatment, as I also love the cabinetry and accenting it would be the thing to do.