Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    TH 400 Transmission
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

TH 400 Transmission
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Is there some sort of 'breather' on this transmission? If so, where is it located and does it clog up easily? Inquiring minds need to know.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Yes , there is a vent ( breather ) on the th400 trans . It is on the top side of trans .There is a pic of the vent on this website . http://www.hotrodders.com/foru...400-vent-224716.html

Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bob.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hemi354az (FMC #120)
posted Hide Post
Lots of pictures . . . vent not all in the same place:
https://www.google.com/search?...1920&bih=950#imgrc=_
Lou, FMC #120

Posts: 36 | Location: Shopsdale, Aridzona | Member Since: 09-07-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Many thanks.
J

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I quoted this from Jim and Tere's other post. I do not know what Jim was smoking when he titled two topics the same.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
What would make a small amount of 'oil' or maybe 'atf' drip out of the vent tube? Overfilling? Right--checked Chevy manuals and it said to check with engine running and tranny in PARK. If the fluid was 'cool'65 degrees F to 85 degrees F, the level should be 1/8" to 3/8" below the ADD mark. If fluid warm, level should be close, either a little above or below, the ADD mark. If hot--too warm to handle comfortably, level should be between the ADD and FULL mark. If it's too high, how does one take a little out without dropping the pan? If level is ok, what would cause the dripping? Cross leak in the pump? Of course I don't know what a cross leak in the pump even is. If it's just leaking a little, what to do?
Thanks
Jim

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve's Reply from the other Identical topic.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Check to be sure it is not overfilled. Sure way to push some out the vent.

If too full, you can suck some out of the dipstick tube with a suction pump and a smaller tube.

Trans temp gauge might be a good thing at this point. If it is getting hot enough to boil out this is not good. If temps are normal I wouldn't worry too much.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hemi's reply in the other post.

quote:
Originally posted by hemi354az (FMC #120):
Lots of reasons . . .
https://www.google.com/search?...ceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Lou, FMC #120

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
I quoted this from Jim and Tere's other post. I do not know what Jim was smoking when he titled two topics the same.

Me neither, but I want some. ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
I assumed he was just enjoying the fumes from ATF leaking down his exhaust.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post