Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Lp to lpv conversion
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Lp to lpv conversion
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
So I order a new Onan genset directly from onan. I tell the salesperson I need LP. My receipt says I got an LP. My mechanic installs it and it won't start. Back to onan whose head mechanic looks at it and says they gave me the wrong genset. This one is LPV. I call the salesperson and she says they have not made an LP genset since 2000 and she ASSUMED that I meant LPV. Well, we all know what happens when you assume.

So now I leave tomorrow in the heat with no running genset. I tried to borrow one from my son in law but he doesn't maintain it so it is not running.

Anyone have a recommendation? There appears to be a tap at the same height as my vapor tap. Could I get the appropriate regulator and use it? Could I tap off the existing vapor pipe which powers the furnace, fridge and hot water or will that be too much?

Is there a regulator I could attach to the LP line in place?

Thanks.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Richard, I am not 100% on this solution, but if you can find a big gas (5 or 6 burner) grill, pull the regulator from it, fit it onto the LP line in the generator box and pipe it to the generator. Check all the fittings for leaks, if it does not supply adequate vapor you may not have full power but I bet it will run!! Might want to make sure you have a shut off valve in the line too.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
Richard, those are the questions that you should be asking the salesperson at Onan.
Ken

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Kenny, she's nice but clueless about this issue. I did find I have an extra vapor tap that's unused. I may reroute the lp line to it.

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Maybe you can use the evaporator off you old genset. Mount it on a head to keep it warm. My old 7KW Kohler ran on vapor. In fact I think they all did. Plumbed liquid to the genset and ran it through an evaporator to the engine.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
Richard, I meant, she should have had put you in touch with an engineer that could tell you exactly what you need. What has happened to customer service?
ken

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Can you really go direct to the generator with full pressure from the holding tank and not through a regulator/evaporator
? Pressure varies greatly in the tank by temperature.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I just did this on DBarth before the sale. Simple for me. I don’t believe they make a liquid lip generate anymore. I disconnected from the liquid valve. Teed into the vapor line after the regulator and after the sniffer valve. Blew the line before hooking up. No issues. Not everybody has a toolbox full of brass fittings keys and other assorted miscellaneous

Posts: 1382 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dana:
I just did this on DBarth before the sale. Simple for me. I don’t believe they make a liquid lip generate anymore. I disconnected from the liquid valve. Teed into the vapor line after the regulator and after the sniffer valve. Blew the line before hooking up. No issues. Not everybody has a toolbox full of brass fittings keys and other assorted miscellaneous

That is the best way to do it I think, unless one has a spare regulator about, to tie into the line at the generator. Dana thanks for slowing down the water supply I might be able to go on the River next week!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Good news. On an found a solution using the existing lpv regulator. They will run a new vapor line to the genset.