Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    What to expect from Batteries
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What to expect from Batteries
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
what can I do without spending a ton of money?

You can always use a stand-alone automotive charger. I found a Vector (B&D) 1095 to be perfectly matched to a pair of golf cart batteries. A 1093 would be good for four GC batts. My 1095 is automatic, selectable for battery type, 3 charge rates, and has both desulfate and equalize cycles. The lower charge rates are great for motorcycles, jetskis, lawn tractors, etc.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
I use a two bank Battery Tender that is mounted in one of the battery compartments. One lead goes to my coach batteries and the other to my chassis batteries. I plug it in to a standard 120V receptacle anytime the coach is sitting. It works fine and keeps them charged and desulfered. I bought a package deal on eBay with lead extensions.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/13
posted Hide Post
I hear from veteran boaters that AGM batteries are the best deep-cycle units out there. Easy to maintain and outlast the more typical wet cells.

I attended a lecture where one world-class mariner who swore by Odyssey AGM batteries, which are also available at Sears under their Platinum label. Probably a little cheaper at Sears, but they're supposed to be exactly the same internally.

Anyway, something to check out on the Web. And no, I haven't had to purchase new batteries yet, so can't cite personal experience. I just know what I'll do when the time comes. For boat or RV.

Posts: 39 | Location: Seattle, WA | Member Since: 09-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
My first experience with AGM's was back in the '90s. I installed two 8D Lifeline AGM's in my Travel Supreme fiver to run the inverter. When I sold the coach in 2006 they were 8 years old and still going strong. AGM's worth their salt are warranted for 5 years but the typical lifespan is between 7 & 10 years. In emergency standby conditions (i.e. fiber optic repeater sites) a 5-year replacement schedule is recommended. The batteries at the sites I maintain are 9 years old and still good. In case you ask, I did advise the owners that it was time to replace them.....

BTW we are running a bank of 6 300 A-hr Lifeline AGM's in our Barth, they will run the bedroom air conditioner all night and make coffee in the morning before the auto gen start fires up the Onan.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 374 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
Hi Barth'ers

I am on my way back from Thailand a little later than I had planned on but anyway. The RV with the old batteries has been sitting for 12 months now and it will be 13 when I get back to Palm Coast and fire the beast up.

I left the batteries attached and connected to the Solar Panel. Last year the unit fired right up and all was fine. I am hoping that happens again, but will replace the coach batteries.

They were upsetting the inverter and at least one battery was toast. I see some AGM's in the $125 range now which I may consider.

Since I will be only using the RV for about 10 weeks and then storing it again, the same question of Cheap Walmart batteries for the $60 each range, or AGMs and hope they store well.

I wonder if there are second hand batteries for sale?

This is the first storage in Humid Florida so I don't know what to expect, the last 5 years have been in the desert.

I am not planning on too much mileage this year, I was thinking of either going north up to SC, over towards Atlanta, down towards New Orleans and back.

Or just go South along the East coast of florida, and then back up the west side. Seems like the mileage is about the same.

Sept/Oct/Nov should be great weather in either place and should be shoulder season, less people.

Comments?

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
If you switch to AGMs, look seriously at the Lifeline brand. They are considered the top of the line. More importantly, you will want to be sure you inverter/charger is of a type that can be programmed to charge AGMs. They charge differently than lead acid.

If you have any leaks, you will find them in Florida this year. Just sayin!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
The only reason I would consider AGM batteries would be their ability to withstand take a higher amp charge and a deeper discharge. For boondocking, this would minimize generator running.

They also can sit longer without needing charging, so might be better for your longer sitting periods if you do not have proper charging in your absence.

HERE is Trojan's site on AGM vs conventional. They make both.

Does your solar system maintain 13.2 volts for float?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Loughney:
but will replace the coach batteries.

They were upsetting the inverter and at least one battery was toast. I see some AGM's in the $125 range now which I may consider.

Since I will be only using the RV for about 10 weeks and then storing it again, the same question of Cheap Walmart batteries for the $60 each range, or AGMs and hope they store well.

Comments?

Tom

Yes, Tom, the AGM has the advantage of slower self-discharge and Yes, they can be had for about $125. I just bought a group 34 AGM at O'Reiley Auto Parts. The price would have been $130, had they not allowed me about half what I had paid for a group 27 marine start/ deep cycle eleven months ago. In as much as their AGM is modestly priced, their warranty on it is only 15 mo full replacement, 24 mo prorated.

I might not have needed to replace the group 27 flooded battery. When I put the new one in, I found that the reason the old one was not holding or taking a charge was probably a tripped hidden Short Stop manual reset breaker. Never the less, AGM or gel is advantageous in my Class B wherein the coach battery is in a box beneath the floor of the rear storage area. At that location, and with the lift strap and a big knife switch disconnect on top, checking water level in cells in nearly impossible.
Last year, I retrofitted the Magnetec (sp?) converter/charger module of the 110/12V box with a Progressive Dynamics unit having integral "Charge Wizard".
So, I hope the AGM will stay properly charged while connected to shore power for prolonged intervals. The old style chargers overcharge in those conditions. They do not use feedback to taper off. Nor does the standard Battery Tender. The Battery Tender Deluxe does, for close to twice the price.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, the PO of Old Blue bout two yellow top and one red top Optima batteries in Old Blue in 1998. They are still in there. PD converter and Charge Wizzard.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
The solar cells do have 13.2 volts and then don't work at night, so the batteries get a charge in the sunshine and then discharge a bit at night, good I figure. When it was in the desert it worked well, I don't know florida yet.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Loughney:
The solar cells do have 13.2 volts and then don't work at night, so the batteries get a charge in the sunshine and then discharge a bit at night,

What discharges them at night?