Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Adding an A/C
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Adding an A/C
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
I sent out an email to Barth Rangers and friends because I am considering adding another airconditioner to my center twin area. I received the following informative responses...

For Joel Siskovic
Have the owner find out if his technician has a "toner" with which to trace the 120 VAC line. This will determine if there is one there or not. He should begin at the genset as that is where a second line would come from if it was really there. He should look in the closet to see if he has a breaker for the second unit. If that is not there, then there was no line. That is the way it is on mine, 1974. If he is going to install a second unit, then advise him to go to the following site: www.e-powr-solutions.com and talk to Bill regarding his special device to run a second 15 amp system for the extra air conditioner. It will save his technician a lot of trouble. If he already has 50 amp service, disregard my last line.

Joel

From Nick in Canada
If the rear A/C is pre-wired, you should have a Circuit Breaker and the wire
to the (future) A/C installed on your A/C distribution panel. The C/B is
possibly already labelled.

Good luck,

Nick

From Bill H/b]
Dave:
Most coaches with two ACs have 50 amp service, and
each AC runs on its own leg. That would seem to rule
out a line going down the ceiling. It is conceivable
that
Barth could have run a line to your other battery
eating Kool a Matic. Pull it out and reach in and feel
around. Is there a breaker that is not used? That
might tell you something. Do you have 30 or 50 amp
service? If there is a 120 volt line running down the
ceiling, it probably is only good for one AC. The
second AC would need its own line and breaker, anyway.
If you don't have 50 amp service, you will be able to
run only one AC at a time. There is a device that will
alternate your ACs so only one is running at once. Are
you sure you need an extra AC? How long is your coach?
I cooled a 28 foor fifth wheel at the Colorado river
with one AC for many years, in temps quite hot.
Although, in the heat of the day, we were not inside.
My last MH was a 27 ft Southwind, and one AC cooled it
OK, except for in the 115 deg sun. I rarely run both
ACs on my 30 foot Barth.
I know this is general, but hope it helps.

Bill

[b]From Don Weber

When I replaced the fans in the roof of my '82 and my '94 there was no 110v
available, only 12v. I would think it very unlikely that they would just
install an extra 110v somewhere where there was no need.

Don
From Eric Herrle
Hi Dave;

I dont think it would be hard to run the lines either. I would be very cautious about making sure that the new electric cable did not just lay on the existing aluminum stringers. I had the problem in mine where the gas line to the fridge rested against the aluminum race hole and the pipe chaffed until it wore through. I recommend shielded cable.

I do have the original Onan Genset from 1977 in mine. I just put in new points and condensor in it and it runs perfectly. It is a 4KW unit and I have all the books and parts manuals if you need anything. It has 480 hours on it.

We are planning on taking a 4/5 week run to the North West this summer also but I am not sure of the exact dates yet. It should be fun.

One of my fellow workers just gave me a Delorme map program for a my lap top or PC. Its the greateset thing since sliced bread. It tells you everything about everywhere, you can't get lost even if you want too. You can hook it up to a GPS for about $50. and track your progress and have a constent exact fix. If you would like a copy let me know I'll send you one.

Eric

Thanks for all of the great info. We are definatly going to install the AC before our trip out west this summer. It gets pretty hot going through the badlands

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1305037&a=10653417&p=36455289
http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/rajah3/usflag.gif

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post