Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    I HAVE THREE HOLES
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

I HAVE THREE HOLES
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted
IN my center council and I have three gauges.hour meter watter temp and oil .I have never had the gen out but they go to the gen can anybody tell me how hard it is to get the gen out of its home .and where they.the gauges go to I t6hink one is oil temp .I would like oil pressure in stead of hours can it be done?
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/10
Picture of roman
posted Hide Post
Lenny & Judy,

To extend the 7.5 KW Onan generator for maintenance on my 34' Regency I open the front grill and unlatch the generator carriage bolt located on the right side looking rearward. My extend/retract switch is located on the left side in my electrical bay. I had to clean and lubricate the jack screw to get mine to work reliably.

When the ratchet stop starts to click back off the switch because you have reached either the extended or retracted stop. This is a pretty cool feature, having the generator extend like that.

As for the oil pressure I believe mine has a pressure switch that supervises oil pressure and shuts the generator down if it goes too low. I'm not sure how the time delay is accomplished when starting the generator but it must have a time delay relay or something in the control box.

Mine has a glycol temperature sensor in the water jacket at the top front of the engine near the radiator hose. I can't remember where the oil temperature sending unit is located. I'm currently out in the Bush on a job so can't look at it. Good Luck

Roman

Do you have the manuals for your generator?

1993, 34', Regency, Widebody
300 HP Cummins
6 spd Allison, Spartan Chassis

Posts: 73 | Location: Alaska | Member Since: 03-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there is a switch that makes it come out>you mean it is something else I did not know about.I have 4 bolts I was going to take out.Is that wrong? guess I will have go under and look first.
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no switch and there is no slide bolt I have two nuts and bolts.where IS the screw jack?can you see the motor that turns it?
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Picture of roman
posted Hide Post
Lenny & Judy,

The jack screw is viewed from underneath and is centered in the carriage left to right. The motor and gear box (about the size of a 4 slice toaster) is aft of the carriage and stays stationary as the jack screw turns moving the carriage forward which extends the genset for maintenance.

That's how it works on our Barth. I'm back home now so next time I'm in town where the coach is stored I'll take some photos and post them.

Do have the manuals for your genset?

Roman

300 HP Cummins

Posts: 73 | Location: Alaska | Member Since: 03-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes I have manuals but the gen was replaced in 1998.I have no switch in the electrical compartment I am going to trace the wires today I have a few switchs that I have not moved as of yet.I wont move them till I know I will not hurt anything.Nick sent me some pics of his slide bolt I don't have one.

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

posted Hide Post
i went under today now I am really stuck .I have no jack screw no switch .I do have 4 steel wheels and one barring that are rusted.I saw the gen out but did not ask just thought I had a switch to bring the gen out.Stupid me every thing is rusted .It is just supposed to just slide out and it won't move.so I am really stuck.any IDEAS or thoughts.on how to get it out I will use the car if I have to first I am going to try to jack it up enough to get geese on the wheels then try to remove the rust that i can get off

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Picture of roman
posted Hide Post
Lenny & Judy,

Kroil works wonders when dealing with rusted parts. It's available through Kano Labs, www.kanolabs.com. Saturate the wheels, bearings and slides and let the Kroil do it's work overnight. You'll be very surprised at how well it works. As far as getting the genset out, that will probably be tricky. Personally, I wouldn't use a vehicle to pull it out as you will have very little control over the amount of force applied. Try a come-a-long first or a jack, it will give you better control. Plus, you will be able to ratchet or jack one click and look at your progress and hopefully avoid damaging anything. Good luck.

Roman

300 HP Cummins

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
You also want to be careful that the rusted out bearings don't give way, and drop the generator out on the ground. This almost happened to me when I was doing my battery tray over.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack:
You also want to be careful that the rusted out bearings don't give way, and drop the generator out on the ground. This almost happened to me when I was doing my battery tray over.

All sliding things should have cross bars or big retention lips to catch whatever falls if a slide fails.

I believe my next genset will have sliding rails, rather than slides. Probably a Z section sliding in a channel.

A threaded rod and trunnion will generate enough force to move it the few times it will be needed.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THIS IS INTERESTING.On my gen slide I have two bolts to remove I thought.Actually I have two bolts and two pins that hold the bumper in place all of the way out on the end of the bumper by the rubber ends.My bumper has one on each side they are on a cable so you won't lose them.I have no screw jack and no switch you have to pull it out and that is not easy.When you push it in there two of peices metal that look like a leaf springs they center the generator
in the back.
now can work on the generator looks like it has not been taken car of for a long time .there is a lot of rust that has to be cleaned off one bearing was welded in place won't play with that now I have to find the oil sensor and water temp gauge I have a kubota 3 cylinder will change filters one looks like fuel other looks like oil and the air filter has to be looked at. thanks for your time on this
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

posted Hide Post
I found the two sensors water and oil.I am going to trace them after I finish JURY DUTY...
lenny
ps feels good to have generator move.

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B