Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    webasto heat (hydronic heating)
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

webasto heat (hydronic heating)
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
Many high line coaches have webasto heating (later hydronic was a similar principle). This is where water is heated by a diesel fueled burner, and one can receive 'instant' hot water at the sinks, and this is also the source of passenger heating, instead of a furnace powered by propane.

Does anyone know whether any Barth's (it would have to be a Regency) had this heating system?

Tom

Posts: 57 | Location: Washington DC | Member Since: 03-11-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ yrs of active membership"
posted Hide Post
No one seems to be answering this one, so I'll put my ignorant question with it. We have rubber hoses under the fridge, that seem to carry hot water. At least after running the engine awhile, they are hot, and so is our water! Is this what you are talking about, or if not, what is going on here? How does this work? I like it, but don't understand it. Can anyone explain this strange "heating?" We have a 1987 33' Barth.

Maureen

Posts: 34 | Location: Michigan, USA | Member Since: 08-10-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a unit where the engine hoses run thru the hot water heater and provides instant hot water while the unit is underway.
I also have the instant hot water at the sink when parked via 120 volts that heats a unit under the sink. This dosen't sound like what your talking about but I would love to know the answer..

I have a 1988 Regency 40' CAT

Posts: 75 | Location: Villa Rica, Ga, USA | Member Since: 03-15-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 94 Regal and it has hoses that run from the engine heater loop back to a heat exchaner under the curbside twin bed. There is a switch on the dash that turns a fan on in the heat exchanger so it will heat the back end of the coach while the engine is running. I don't know if this is applicable to any of your questions but that's what I have. In fact, I'm trying to figure out why hot water still runs back there even when the valve by the engine looks like it's closed. It makes it too #^$&*%( hot back there in the summer and I don't have the fan turned on. ??????

EKW

Posts: 27 | Location: Aurora, CO USA | Member Since: 05-05-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Most of your descriptions relate to 'motoraide'(?) heating where engine coolant circulates through a water heater and provides hot water for showers and the sinks. Sometimes they also circulate engine coolant through a heat exchanger for heating the air in the coach as well.

What I am refering to is a diesel fired heater that uses hot water to 1. circulate to the engine, which reduces warm up time and makes the engine easier to start. 2. provides hot water for showers/sinks, and 3. is used as the heat source for warming the coach. There are even versions that use heated water to warm the floors (radiant heat) rather than heat through coils that have air blown across them. They are very quiet.

This is a high line item. The 1990 up Concept by Country Coach had some form of such heating, and Newell, as well as Foretravel's upper units, and Wanderlodges. They started in the late 1980's (I think), but became more common in the early 1990's. I haven't heard of any Barth's that had this though. I have heard of heated storage compartments, but I don't know whether this is the same thing. Were the space heaters diesel fired, and did they heat the air in the compartments? or some other setup? I thought it likely that Barth would also have used this high end heating, but I haven't heard of anything similar.

Does anyone have such a thing on their coach?

Posts: 57 | Location: Washington DC | Member Since: 03-11-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Lee Merriman>
posted
Barth has never installed that type of heating unit in their coachs. I checked on it once in Elkhart IN. to see if one could be put on my Barth and they said it would take 5 weeks to install it and I didn't want to do that. Also, there should be a shut off valve right clost to the rear heater to turn the water off. Almost all Barths came with a hot water heater exchange to heat the hot water. Hope this helps you.

------------------
Lee Merriman

Reply With QuoteReport This Post