Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    P30 vs P32
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

P30 vs P32
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
I would need a truck data book or a service
parts book for this time period to answer your second question. I hope to go to Nappanee. Ind. next week to visit Short
McCormick's Chevrolet dealership to get my
rear window fixed, and talk about old times.
I will see if they have any old truck data books or old service parts books that I can talk them out of keeping.

Jake Jacobson

Posts: 69 | Location: Harper Woods, MI, USA | Member Since: 05-06-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The earlier post by Bill H on this thread gives some alignment specs from the factory manual, & also from some well-experienced suppliers of aftermarket motorhome suspension improvements.

My certificate of origin (1989) simply calls it, "Motorhome chassis 178" WB, Series or model #31832." It doesn't say P30 or P32.

The title of the orange factory manual says it's for the "Chevrolet P30 Motorhome Chassis." Perhaps the P30/P32 confusion results from the fact, that the model number of all the motorhome chassis, regardless of WB & GVWR ends with the #32.

The title of the factory manual suggests that Chevrolet thinks they're all P30. That's what I'll call it from now on.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited June 10, 2005).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmmm.

"CHEVROLET MOTOR HOME CHASSIS SERVICE GUIDE - P CHASSIS" (1995) This is the blue manual. The 1997 version has the identical title, but is green.

"1995 PG & P3 CHASSIS SERVICE MANUAL"

"1997 P32/42 Chassis Front Engine Motor Home and Commercial SERVICE MANUAL"

"1998 P32/42 Chassis Front Engine Motorhome and Commercial SERVICE MANUAL"

"Service Manual 1999 P32/42 Chassis"

I'm not satisfied yet with what to call a particular version of the chassis. I have yet to see a good way to identify one.

Mike

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My orange book is 1990. Maybe they went to the 32/42 differentiation later because of the confusion we've had in this thread.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My orange 1986 Chevrolet Motor Home Chassis Service Guide, says nothing on the cover or title page about Pee-Anything. However, on page 1-1, it says "P30 is the series and size class used for motor homes and is available in four wheelbases." 125, 137 158.5 and 178 inches.

Score one for Pee thirty guys.

Now, on page 3-2, it gives different front end alignment specs for Pee 30 and "MOTOR HOME (32)" The caps and parentheses are from the manual. The P20 and P30 have the same caster, and the "MOTOR HOME (32)" has more. Toe-in is not even listed for a P30, just the "MOTORHOME (32)"

Score one for the P32 team.

Further on, mention is made of P series motor home chassis, saying neither 30 nor 32. Also listed is a rear U bolt chart with only P30 mentioned, no P32. A couple of other charts similarly ignore the mention of P32.

I will not try to make any sense of this. I do suspect, however, that a tech writer or two dropped the ball here and there in the compiling of this manual.

Chev gave up completely on the cover of their (green)1995 manual, just saying, "P chassis". Inside, there are the usual confusing mentions of both P30 and P32, with the addition of a P3 chassis.

I still say that I have a Pee-something-or-other and let the experts at the parts counters tell me what I have.

They know.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redtree
posted Hide Post
P30 is the panel van and P32 is motor home witch has a heaver duty suspension and disc brakes on rear. I know this is correct because I am redoing the front end of my 86 Fleetwood 33' now. The parts are different for sure and the parts guys dont know everything. sorry guys.

Posts: 1 | Location: FL | Member Since: 10-06-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redtree:
P30 is the panel van and P32 is motor home witch has a heaver duty suspension and disc brakes on rear.

I have owned P motor homes with drums and disks on the rear.

The lighter ones, usually with 16 inch wheels have drums in back. The heavier ones, usually with 19.5 wheels have disks all round.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post

The Thread That Will Not Die. deadhorse

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:

The Thread That Will Not Die. deadhorse
Thread started 4/9/2005. Only been discussing it for 8 1/2 years. ROTFLMAO

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
It'll outlast me. At age 75+ that's not saying much. deadhorse
Hum

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:

Nick

Nick, how can you determine that? I do not see years on posts, just day and month.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:

Nick

Nick, how can you determine that? I do not see years on posts, just day and month.

Full date, and even the exact time, appear in blue for me (at top of post)

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I get the time, too. Just no year.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get the time, too. Just no year.

how strange.
must depend on the browser people use. I use Safari on an iMac.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
How about this?

posted 05-16-2005 02:49 AM Hide Post
"I am retired GM Engineer, and we established
the P32 chassis designation, in 1971, to seperate the Motor Home Chassis from the P30 Forward Control Chassis, which was currently in production. These chassis can
not be used interchangeably, and we didn't want the Body Builders to try to do this. The MotorHome Chassis has certain equipment
that is not available on the FC chassis: such as dash A/C,larger fuel tanks, and a
tuned supension with very large stabilizer
bars."

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post