Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Ceiling / Headlining '91 22ft
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ceiling / Headlining '91 22ft
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug.A
posted
Hi, my poor Barth 22ft 1991 seems to have a padded vinyl ceiling in the bathroom area and at the front of the coach, but the area between, i.e. the main cabin, seems to be some sort of foam backed beige / tan 'velour' cloth that has parted company both with its backing and the roof, hanging down in a an ugly fashion... It was secured with flat head push-pins, which just worked loose and fell out. I spoke to another owner, of a slightly younger 22ft and he unit had a vinyl ceiling throughout. Does anyone know if:

a) The original ceiling was vinyl

b) Was it an extra cost upgrade?

c) Could the cloth ceiling be original, or was there an issue that involved the removal of the original and it's replacement with this?

The last is scary because it makes one wonder what's above?

I had thought to replace the current mess with panels of thin flexible plastic board from Lowes, or to take down the correct cloth etc. clean it up and maybe tile the ceiling as I have seen done on some coaches?

Ideas, help? Please?

Thanks!

Posts: 25 | Location: Tualatin Oregon USA | Member Since: 10-08-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I had a 4 page thread about re-doing our ceilings in our old Euro. Wasn't easy but it was well worth the effort.
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...061/m/4933909957/p/1

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Our ‘81 Euro 22’ original had the same luan, foam and vinyl ceiling that was in our ‘93 Regency. (And lots of other MH of that era). None of these were ever conceived of being around in thirty of forty years. Our solution was to remove everything from the coach and start over, including the Euro front cap and obsolete windshields.
We decided weight, humidity and water had to be avoided so we used honeycomb plastic panels (Carbon Core 3/8” panels) with 1/8” closed cell Landau Foam attached with 3M 78 foam adhesive and then vinyl (white) also attached with 3M (constructed with a 4x8 vacuum bag) and then attached with strips of adhesive backed Velcro on the ceiling ribs and the panels that were cut to fit. We installed LED down lights, trimmed around the A/C vent and then (still working on this part) built new cabinets including the rear bathroom. The original cabinets were nowhere near the fine work of the Amish in the newer large coaches so we didn’t try to save them.
More work and money than anyone but a Barth freak would spend on a baby coach but it will be unique and way less than what passes for a new comparable size two person travel coach. It is way quieter and is waterproof because nothing exists to hold or be affected by water even if a leak occurs and the ceiling can be removed if need be.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post