Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    SPARK PLUG WIRES
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

SPARK PLUG WIRES
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
WHAT KIND OF SPARK PLUG WIRES SHOULD I GET FOR A 76 BARTH 454 ?

------------------

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
A lot of folks really swear by the ceramic wires because of the heat generated by the 454. I have never had them and never had a problem. If you are happy with existing wires stay there. If you like to soup up your coach and spend a couple hundred buck get the ceramics from Camping World...

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
A good set of spiral core silicone wires from a major manufacturer will last a long time. I slip a 4 1/2 inch sleeve of Thermo Tec heat shield tubing over each plug nipple for extra protection. www.pawinc.com They have a really neat catalog.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited February 06, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by REGLOVER:
WHAT KIND OF SPARK PLUG WIRES SHOULD I GET FOR A 76 BARTH 454 ?
Hi! I, too, own a 76 Barth 454 and did the following things: I installed an RV cam rather than keeping the stock cam, so I could run more economical and then installed a Jacobs Ignition System to give me additional fuel economy and more torque that I lost by changing the cam. Part of the kit for the Jacobs system was the ceramic spark plug cables and boots. I have examined the wires and boots from time to time and find that they really protect the wires in that extremely hot environment. The spark from the Jacobs Ignition System is a multiple detonation spark system and it efficiently burns all but 5 percent of the gas. Normally tuned systems push out 20 to 25 percent raw gas that is not used in the engine and is either burned in the catalytic converter or is exhausted to the air. I fully recommend the ceramic wires and boots as an addition to your Barth, but I also recommend the full ignition system replacement. Call Jacobs and talk to the RV technician, he has many miles under his belt and will give you straight answers. If you travel 5,000 miles a year, you will pay yourself back the cost of the system in three years. I also installed a ram air duct system to my carburetor which I made from 3" aluminum coiled tubing which is made for gas dryer exhausting and I used the external tin vent as the collector for the air which I mounted in front of the radiator in the grill area. This brings cool air directly into the engine versus the hot air that was picked up off the radiator in the original design. I just love my Barth and it is so efficient and easy to work on. You just gotta love'em.

Joel

Posts: 2 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Member Since: 09-06-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post