Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Air bags [again]
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Air bags [again]
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
I know this has been discussed too many times before but now I can't find it. Blew a front bag this weekend and need a link for new ones. Thanks.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
Danny,
How are you? Haven't seen you around. I had to replace one of my front air bags last year (other side had been changed earlier by someone else). I put on Airlift 1000 #82681. I found mine at a local RV parts store. The price was about same as online. I changed it myself. The hardest part was removing the old one. I searched on the web for directions. Also directions came with the bags. Will you be going to Talladega again in October? We will be at the same place as last year.

1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
Danny,
I used the attached install procedure when I installed the Air Lift 1000 bag.

Air Lift 1000 KIT No. 81560 - (546 KB) ~

1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Ronnie, thanks for the info. Looks like it has everything covered. We'll be at Dega again this year. Same place. A 107 Family campground. I'll take a bike ride over to see you again if I don't hear from you by then. I didn't know the bag was blown till after we got home and I thought the coach handled great. Now I'm wondering how much better it will be with working bags. Right had 50 lbs. and left was blown, but she drove fine. See ya in October!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the always helpful info I scored the bags from Summit and a ten page instuction to go with it. The Ebay auction was expired but I don't deal with Ebay anyway so I went directly to Summit and they were great. Confirmed that I had the right part # and had it ordered in about a minute. Thanks to bill for the contact. If the installation doesn't go as planned I'll post any problems for future reference.

79 Barth Classic

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Got the airbags in today, not without some problems. Here are the differences between bag one and bag two. Cut the bottom off the bag, get hold of it with vice grips, note the direction of the springs, then turn and pull to screw it out. Bag one: spent about an hour cranking and pulling and cutting and repeating.
Bag two: Sprayed with WD 40, cut the top off with a sawzall after pulling it half way down. Pulled the rest out the bottom and the top out between the coils. Took about 10 minutes. Wipe off the springs to remove any WD40, soak everything with dish soap, and crank the new bag up into the spring. Not a really hard project but could have been prevented if the previous left front bag had been installed with the upper donut properly installed. It was apparently too difficult to put it in so the bag ballooned into the upper coil of the spring and popped. Anybody needs to take on this project can contact me for more info, it's not that bad if you have a jack and stands that can raise your entire front end.

79 Barth Classic