Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Odd Place to Get Parts
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Odd Place to Get Parts
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
I've become somewhat disenchanted with the local auto parts scheme. The big NAPA store in Gainesville is still a supplier of staples; I've been a customer there (they know my name) for 20 years, and the prior owner was a golfing buddy.

But some parts evade the NAPA system, as well as other stores (AutoZone, Advance, CarQuest, Bumper-to-Bumper), so I've been experimenting with a new source, that's proven to be a Godsend: Amazon!

I use the Goodyear Gatorback belt on the Barth. I also wanted a spare tensioner for the serpentine belt. Neither was available locally (AutoZone used to be able to order the Gatorbacks, but no more), but Amazon had 2 belts and the tensioner to me in 2 days! And the prices were far better ($22 for the belts vs. $36; the tensioner wasn't ever available locally except from the dealer, $52 vs. ~$95.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I have always been a NAPA customer but lately I have been going to Auto Zone. An old friend works at AZ and gives me excellent treatment and so far I've had no problems with any of their parts. They are also quite a bit cheaper than NAPA.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vince900ss
posted Hide Post
I too am an Amazon believer. I have used often over the years, but have discovered in the past year or two that no matter what it is (including odd automotive parts, etc.), it is best to look there first. They usually do have it, and as Rusty said, at a very good price. And no driving, no hunting, easy returns, and two days later, it is here. You can't beat that. So now, no matter what I am shopping for (tools, parts, yard equipment, anything really...), I always start with Amazon

Vince & Michelle
1993 Front entry Breakaway 30.5
Cummings 5.9 190 HP with Banks upgrade to 210 HP, Allison 4 speed
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 78 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Member Since: 06-04-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
We tow a 2003 Chevy Tracker and when the A/C compressor died last week the owner of the Tracker Ranch (here in Livingston, TX) ordered the part on Ebay. We tried many of the usual sources as well, including a compressor rebuilder in Houston. Three vendors on Ebay had the part cheaper and could deliver it quicker than ANY of the auto parts stores, including the compressor rebuilder. I never thought about Amazon but that's a great idea!

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Rusty... thanks for the heads up on Amazon. I wanted a Goodyear gatorback serpentine for the Barth but NAPA didn't carry them. Another local dealer carried them but would have had to order it at the cost of $35 each. I ordered 2 belts through Amazon at the cost of 7.95 each plus 5.50 shipping.. about $21.50. Any suggestions on best way to change it? It looks like you need a special ratchet with 3/8 " drive to loosen the tension pulley. A little hard to get to.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Gerald, the serpentine belt on the 5.9 is a PITA to change. There is square opening in the tensioner pulley assembly to insert a wrench and you have to pull the tensioner away from the belt to the stop and hold it there while you slip the belt off the water pump pulley. Don't loosen any bolts on the tensioner or you will not get it back safely or you run the risk of stripping the bolts.

Once you have the old belt off, the installation id the reverse, get it round the proper routing on all pulleys that have grooves in them and then pull the tensioner back up against the stop to work the belt over the water pump pulley. The water pump uses the back side of the belt for the drive and is not grooved so it slip on and off.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Ed, thanks alot. I just came in from adjusting the old belt. It was frayed on the back (engine) side. It had worked its way to the back side of the alt. and water pump pullies (sp?) I don't know if it was installed wrong, worn (probably) or the pullies are out of alignment. I will have to keep my eye on it when the new belts get here. Your right PITA, but I think when the new belt gets here I will be able to get it on. Again a third hand sure would come in handy. Put some nylon straps for handles on the upper engine compartment door... a little easier to move around now. Thanks again!

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
I got it wrong...but couldn't edit. The belt was rubbing and beginning to ride up on the back side of the alt. and fan pulleys not water pump!!

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerald:
I got it wrong...but couldn't edit.
To edit a post, read this tutorial.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill, I tried that the first time but it said I didn't have permission to edit/delete, but this time it came up alright. Thanks.. Gerald

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB