Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Replacing serpentine belt on 1998 Itasca 454.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Replacing serpentine belt on 1998 Itasca 454.
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Having problem with installing a serpentine belt on 1998 Itasca RV chevy 454. I have looked at belt diagram it looks right but for some reason it is too short. Measured the new belt with the old and they are the same length. When I pull back the tensioner arm it is still too short. Don't know what I am donig wrong?

Posts: 7 | Location: Lexington, OK | Member Since: 06-01-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Hmm, are you sure you have the correct belt?
I wonder if the old belt was installed incorrectly and should have been longer.

Be sure the belt is tight on all the pulleys, sometimes the the ribs don't settle into the pulley grooves all the way.

I'll see if I can find the part number for the correct belt. Good Luck. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will go back and check, but have looked at it many times and I can’t see the problem. I have had friends look at it, still no one can figure it out.

Posts: 7 | Location: Lexington, OK | Member Since: 06-01-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
They make several belts around 100 inches...100 inches, 102 inches, 103.5 inches. I can't find a specific reference that matches yours. I think GM may have used different setups in the same year.

Do you have a VIN # for the chassis? I have a friend who is a GM parts guy, might be able to verify which belt is right. What number belt do you have now?

I have seen numerous examples of incorrect belts/installation. Since the new and old belts are the same and the new one won't fit, I assume the old one won't either if you follow the diagram. Makes me think someone previously used the wrong belt and just "made it work" with a different routing, or there may be a different routing diagram you should use. Weird problem indeed.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VIN #1GBLP37J3W3306839 The new belt is a Gates K06100 13/16 X 100 5/8 OC. I have not verified correct belt because I was unable to find that info. I just went with same belt it had on it.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I called my friend and gave him the VIN#. He will look it up tomorrow morning at work and call me with the OEM GM belt number. At least we can be sure you've got the correct belt, then we'll see if we can get it to fit. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Usually (and it should apply in your config) it's easier to put the belt under the tensioner, retract it, and slip it over the alternator pulley.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve, I bet you are right. It has to be the wrong belt. I look forward to your post in the morning.
And Rusty I have tried to slip it over the alternator pulley. I think I have tried everything. It should'nt be that hard thats why I think Steve is correct in thinking it is the wrong belt.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Are you getting parts at the autozone on the north side of town or driving into Norman because of the bridge?

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rjones:
It should'nt be that hard thats why I think Steve is correct in thinking it is the wrong belt.

I agree - it's the wrong belt.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute! When the old belt was on did everything work and function correctly?

If the old belt was on for awhile, it should be a bit longer than a new one of the same part number, not much but they do stretch as they age.

If you are certain that the new belt is EXACTLY the same length as the old one,I suggest you have a routing issue and you are not re-installing the new belt correctly.

Also, you must insure that the belt is fully seated in all pulleys and pick a path to slide the new belt over a pulley that uses the back side of the belt with no grooves. Make sure that the tensioner is fully released or backed off.

You do NOT want to install a belt that is to long, it will squeal and fail very quickly!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
According to my friend, the VIN# points to GM # 88986813, 6 rib, 100.4 inches which sounds like what you have....

One interesting note: according to VIN, that unit was w/o air conditioning. Assuming you have AC it may have been an add on by the coach company? This might then be a non-factory setup with a different routing than the normal diagram.

Good luck, hope this will get you on track. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
w/o air conditioning

BINGO
That is the glitch. Coach company added AC (with longer belt) Click

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it has AC. Thanks to everyone for your help.

posted Hide Post
And K&E I am driving to Norman because of Bridge.