Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    87 Regal Update
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

87 Regal Update
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of jumanjii1
posted Hide Post
7-29-2021

Well it's time to change out the Flex Plate. The gears are shot and the starter no longer engages the Flex Plate. I was gonna have it done but the mechanic wanted $2000. So it's time to change it out myself- how hard can it be! Well it's not too hard but you have to remove everything attached to the transmission. So I went ahead and purchased a transmission jack from Harbor Freight, purchased a sheet of plywood so I could have a smooth surface, that really helps a lot since I have a gravel driveway. I detached the drive shaft first, then the starter, the dip stick, cooling lines, vacuum, shift and the brake line. I'll remove the bolts attaching the flex plate to the torque converter. then it's just a matter of holding up the engine with a bottle jack and using the transmission jack to hold it up while I unbolt the transmission from the engine. There's that cross member holding up the transmission that I'll have to wiggle out of the way before I can drop that sucker and move it out of the way so I can unbolt the flex plate from the engine. Two Flex Plate to Torque Converter bolts were just finger tight and two transmission mounting bolts were missing. Am I missing something like getting my head examined or committing myself? It sure is fun owning a Motor Home.

Posts: 62 | Location: Sandston, VA | Member Since: 07-16-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jumanjii1
posted Hide Post
More Pics

Posts: 62 | Location: Sandston, VA | Member Since: 07-16-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jumanjii1
posted Hide Post
More

Picture of jumanjii1
posted Hide Post
Still More

Picture of jumanjii1
posted Hide Post
One more

Picture of jumanjii1
posted Hide Post
Late Entry

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
That is a really big endeavor, upgraded torque converter and new rear engine seal in your plan too? Love these old machines!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2052 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I missing something like getting my head examined or committing myself?

Spectacular work! It is keeping me inspired!

I sometimes think, "there is a reason that most men don't do these things", but I am very happy to see that there are other men who do!

Happy Motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jumanjii1! With the tranny out, be sure to inspect the casting port plugs on the back of the engine block. If you see rust, clean it off and prime it and paint it. If you see pitting, consider replacement with brass plugs.
Matt

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jumanjii1
posted Hide Post
The rear main seal is leaking too but I'm not sure if I'm equipped to raise the engine up to drop the pan and replace the seal. I think I'd remove the engine first to have it rebuilt totally. I did notice a Freeze Plug had been leaking but is not leaking now. I see remnants of rust around the plug so that's a concern. And I just had two stents put in my heart to open up some clogs. Had been feeling tightness in my chest whenever I exerted myself so I checked myself in and they put in these stents. Holy cow I feel great now. I feel sorry for my wife, LOL.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Replacing the rear main is a BIG job! I started it on my 86 and found the crank was bad. Ended up replacing the crankshaft from below... big job!

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...933940277#5933940277

I later replaced the entire engine. It was also a big job but was the final solution to a 1986 230hp 454. The new 454HO is more like 400 hp.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...693923287#6693923287

The new engine was a huge improvement. That said, I am glad I did that when I did. I wouldn't have the energy now!

Good luck with yours and good to hear you got good working stents! Keep us posted! Thumbs Up

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5175 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jumanjii1, job #1 is to take care of yourself. Manage that, and you can take care of your wife, your Barth, and other matters.

The freeze plug replacement is an easy job. I had a Chevy pickup once that had a leaky one on the side, which I could access by removing the starter. Leaks, and starters, are a bad mix. Between a drill, a punch, a screwdriver to pry, and a hammer, it didn't take long to remove. Installation is done by using a socket big enough to fit in the plug, and tapping that in to place. I don't remember if I used a sealer too.

Gaining access to the freeze plugs AKA "casting port plugs" is the hard part of the job. On the Chevy 350, I seem to recall that some were directly beneath a motor mount.

Matt

posted Hide Post
Sir, where did you get your tires for your 87? We have a Regal 1987 30ft

Posts: 2 | Location: Houston Tx | Member Since: 08-15-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jumanjii1
posted Hide Post
I feel embarrassed to say but I got the tires online from Walmart. They were the cheapest price at $259 a piece plus 50 dollars to balance each one. Bridgestone r187LT8/00R19.5 all-season tires. Of course I always have to do everything the hard way, removing two tires at a time and taking them in for a mount and balance. They told me I needed balance rings since they could not balance large tires. I think I got ripped off on that one. What the heck is a balance ring? Anyway I got four of them inside the tires. The two front tires I got in 2014 so they are already aged out or close to it.

Picture of jumanjii1
posted Hide Post
And the new Flex Plate is installed. Not sure if I should torque them down to 50FP or 60FP. The book says 50 and everyone else says 60. So now I'm waiting for the rains to stop. Retirees don't work in the rain ya know!

I'm waiting for the Starter to arrive as well as the Transmission rear seal and the mount. This will be my 3rd Starter since the first one got heat soaked and the second one got chewed up by the Flex Plate. Both Starters were GM Starters and now I'm going for the cheap PURE ENERGY 3510MSN. I've got the Heat Shield so this starter should be the last.