Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Adding a new Window? advice or pictures from your project?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Adding a new Window? advice or pictures from your project?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of ForrestKing
posted
My coach is an 87, medical unit and has very few windows. I have 2 uninstalled windows that were in the coach when I bought it, and am wondering how hard it is to install windows, and what bracing I need to replace or reinforce.

Can I just cut a hole in the wall and clamp the window in? Do I need to add reinforcing studs? wood or metal?

Posts: 42 | Location: St Louis area | Member Since: 01-16-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Forrest, check the "story" link on the bottom of any of Bill N.Y.'s posts... Also do a "search" for "adding window" and you'll find all kinds of info and pics...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Try this link and read up. While it doesn't go into detail on a window install... It'll give you some real good advice on what you should be looking for, and potential pitfalls, when you do tackle this job.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Hi ForrestKing,
Check out what I'd done, for a starting point.
http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...?r=90110034#90110034

You might want to compare the width of the windows you have to the spacing of the studs in the wall. I was finding an assortment of spacing intervals. I tend to recall them varying from 9.5 to 11". There were some interval distances that predominated.

You can cut a hole, and clamp the window in, assuming you have matched the widths. I didn't add any studs. But if you check my first picture, you'll see that there is a horizontal cross piece under the window. My new window height did not reach low enough. The thickness of the wall studs is 2", so I cut a 2x4 on a table saw to fit the distance between the horizontal metal piece and the bottom of the window. You will want to do this, because you won't want the weight of the window to be carried by the aluminum skin. Because of the geometries of the interior trim ring which fits in the window, the 2x4 is cut with a step-profile as viewed from the end, in order to provide the clearance needed.

Part of the key to a successful installation is going to be the relationship of the cut in the outside skin, and with the interior paneling. They are not the same size. The hole which is cut in the interior paneling is going to be about 3/8" larger all around. This means you can not use the same template on the inside that you use on the outside, when tracing your cut lines. So, the key to success is going to be having center lines drawn for the position of the window, and then aligning your templates to this with their center lines.

You might also have to move some other outlets around. You can also use the opportunity to route 12v outlets for portable electronics.

On the passenger side, next to the chairs I'd installed, I'd wished I'd installed a bigger window.

Here's a new one almost 3' wide on eBay for about $100+shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...fPartsQ5fAccessories

Bottom line: it is not a hard job, it is just time-consuming to prepare for placing the cuts in the right location. Take your time, and imagine all the great sites you'll be seeing through your new windows as you do the job. Don't rush it.

One last point about your interior paneling. It is riveted in place. You won't be able to remove all the interior paneling, depending upon if other interior walls were installed, or if other windows are in place. But you can remove them or loosen them as needed by drilling off the rivet heads. Be careful here, you can keep the rivet body in place on the stud, so that the rivet body can serve as an alignment dowel for placing the interior panel back in place.

Happy Motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post