Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tranny won’t go in reverse
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tranny won’t go in reverse
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Howdy, I have a 1985 Regal with a Chevy 454. The transmission won’t go into park or reverse. I can see the levers turning a mechanism on the side of it. It will go into drive, but if I keep doing that I’ll run into my shed. I recently aquired this and know little of its history. Thanks!

Posts: 4 | Location: Dale, Indiana | Member Since: 02-18-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey snuffy, on a transmission theres a pawl, little bracket with teeth on it. It probably came out of adjustment. try raising rear wheels, blocking and jackstands of course, either top or bottom notch is park...

and i'd change the trans fluid, especially if you first got it. I was thinking reverse bands, but it doesn't go into park so it sounds like a linkage issue.

Chris

Posts: 7 | Location: California | Member Since: 03-03-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Thank you Christopher Thumbs Up for sharing your knowledge. It is nice to hear a new member offer Computer advice during the first few posts. Salute

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We dropped the tranny pan today. Changed the filter and checked the pawl. It looked good. We also checked and figured out that it does go into park. Sooooo....broken reverse band?

Posts: 4 | Location: Dale, Indiana | Member Since: 02-18-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
My old Winne would not go into reverse, the clutch plates had melted to drive plates (not all just one or two) only went forward, I can't remember if it had neutral, it did have park. Transmission rebuild!!! Those were the old days only cost about $500 then, 2010 or so..

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well..we changed the transmission and it still won't go into reverse. There is a Gear Vendor Overdrive unit on this Barth. The mechanic (and a fella at Gear Vender) thinks this is the problem. Should I replace the GV unit with a rebuilt? Or remove it altogether?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
If you remove it, looks like a new drive shaft will be required, do you tow a lot, I wonder how much your mileage will be affected. If you take the GV off I assume you can check to see if the transmission goes into reverse before you have to buy the replacement GV.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post