Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Propane Generator Tune Up
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Propane Generator Tune Up
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted
Hi Everyone,

We have a Kohler Propane Generator 7000(which we love) mounted in the front of our 30', 1992 Breakaway(which we also love)and need some help with the generator.

23 HP
Model K582EP
Spec. 36371
Serial # 1818100905

I just replaced the two support clamps which hold the muffler and tailpipe in place, thinking it would quiet some of the noise coming from the generator but it didn't so I dug a little deeper and discovered that the bouncing muffler and tailpipe had cracked the exhaust manifold. I repaired it with EPOXY steel and wrapped it with exhaust pipe heat tape to keep it cooler and for additional security.

I also replaced the air filter and the two spark plugs (all of which appeared to be original) and patched up a hole in the side of the filter cover, however, now that I have all these new parts, the generator runs erratic and backfires. Does anyone have a manual or instructions for "tuning up" this puppy?

Are there any other filters, points, etc. that shoud be replaced? ... and does anyone know what the plug gap should be, etc.

Thank you.

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carl Feren:
Are there any other filters, points, etc. that shoud be replaced? ... and does anyone know what the plug gap should be, etc.
Carl, I do not have a tune up procedure for you to follow, but what you just asked is visible in the picture..

There are breaker points and the gap is .020"

The Spark Plug gap is set at .018"

If no one has an answer, I'll see if I can't find this info for you.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Everyone,

I just replaced the two support clamps which hold the muffler and tailpipe in place. I dug a little deeper and discovered that the bouncing muffler and tailpipe had cracked the exhaust manifold. I repaired it with EPOXY steel and wrapped it with exhaust pipe heat tape to keep it cooler and for additional security.

It will probably crack again. The wrap will probably make it hotter, since the outlet air can no longer cool it. If you have it welded next time it breaks, find the best welder you can. It is hard stuff to weld. If you buy a new one, be sure you get the right one. The Kohler parts book is wrong on at least one of them.

These often break from poor ground clearance, too.

quote:
I also replaced the air filter and the two spark plugs (all of which appeared to be original) and patched up a hole in the side of the filter cover, however, now that I have all these new parts, the generator runs erratic and backfires.

How does it run with the old plugs back in?

quote:
Does anyone have a manual or instructions for "tuning up" this puppy?

I have manuals for the 582 engine and the 7CM21 genset. Is yours a 7CM21?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
quote:
Hi Everyone,

I just replaced the two support clamps which hold the muffler and tailpipe in place. I dug a little deeper and discovered that the bouncing muffler and tailpipe had cracked the exhaust manifold. I repaired it with EPOXY steel and wrapped it with exhaust pipe heat tape to keep it cooler and for additional security.

It will probably crack again. The wrap will probably make it hotter, since the outlet air can no longer cool it. If you have it welded next time it breaks, find the best welder you can. It is hard stuff to weld. If you buy a new one, be sure you get the right one. The Kohler parts book is wrong on at least one of them.

quote:
I never thought of the tape making it hotter but that makes sense. I guess the tape is good for keeping compartments cooler from heat coming off the pipes and manifolds.

These often break from poor ground clearance, too.

quote:
My ground clearance is good so that is not a concern, but I have heard others warn about ground clearance.

quote:
I also replaced the air filter and the two spark plugs (all of which appeared to be original) and patched up a hole in the side of the filter cover, however, now that I have all these new parts, the generator runs erratic and backfires.

How does it run with the old plugs back in?

quote:
I threw the old plugs away but realized (as Bill NY pointed out) the gap settings were listed on the picture of the engine plate I included on my post ... DUH!

quote:
Does anyone have a manual or instructions for "tuning up" this puppy?

I have manuals for the 582 engine and the 7CM21 genset. Is yours a 7CM21?

quote:
The engine is a K582EP but I have no idea if it is a 7CM21. How can I tell?

Thanks guys.

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no idea if it is a 7CM21. How can I tell?

On mine, there is a metal plate mounted midway between the oil filter and oil filler.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I have a Kohler LP generator on my Barth. When I had it rebuilt, the tech also replaced the plug wires. That did make it run better.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post