Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Transmission Tachometer Transducer
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Transmission Tachometer Transducer
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted
Trying to locate the tachometer transducer, "sending unit", on my 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT542, 4 speed tranny. Might the indicated, mounted in the forward/input end of the housing, be the piece. Thanks.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
That is where mine is located (looks the same also) but I have a MD3060 6 speed trans.

Don't think that make a difference

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Same here. It's on the engine not the transmission.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. And I imagine it functions by sending an electrical pulse from a magnetic origin, similar to the old style cruise control sending unit.

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Most of the older style sensors consist of an inductive coil which indeed generates a pulse of current when a magnet passes by. These are usually simple to troubleshoot, as the sensor is a sealed coil with two leads. The coil resistance can be measured with an ohmmeter and will have a specific resistance. Open or shorted coils will show higher or lower resistance respectively.

Newer designs are often based on Hall effect sensors. Hall effect sensors are semiconductors of the FET (field effect transistor) type. They usually have three leads, or two leads plus ground. The sensors respond to a magnetic field by changing their conductivity. An applied voltage allows current to flow through the sensor when in the presence of a magnetic field. They usually have a power lead, ground lead and a sense output lead. These are more difficult to diagnose since they consist of semiconductor diodes, not easy to check with standard meters. Common applications include crankshaft sensors and keyboard sensors.

I am fairly certain the Allison transmission sensors are of the older inductive coil type.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
I think it is the inductive coil type with the two leads. I understand fully open reads 1, and shorted very close to 0 resistance. Would it be unusual to be partially open or partially shorted? Meaning if not 1 or near 0 then probably a good sensor. I have no idea what the proper resistance is for a good sensor.

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Correct. Prob a couple hundred ohms normally. Sometimes they are intermittent when they heat up.... Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what we are talking about here is a "hall effect sensor" You can google it or go here---https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/electromagnetism/hall-effect.html They are quite commonly used to sense proximity of ferromagnetic objects. and have been around for years (nearly back to the vacuum tube days. By nature they are extremely reliable, the unreliable part comes in when the cheapest offshore source is used to reduce cost and to enhance the dealer repair income. Because of this they are quite overpriced to the consumer. john

Posts: 81 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Why don't we have a saluting emoji? My point made... and with no drift intended.

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

posted Hide Post
Salute

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Like looking for something in the fridge. My wife's selfi - Mad

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B