Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    genturi exhaust on portable generator
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

genturi exhaust on portable generator
 Login now/Join our community

posted
has anyone ever tried or know how to hook up a genturi type system to a portable generator? I use a travel trailer and would like to quiet the generator down some.

Posts: 1 | Location: sierra's | Member Since: 11-11-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Many of us have rigged either store-bought or home-built genturi systems. Mine is a home built that i have about 12 bucks into, but it performs the same as a 129 buck system. One thing I feel you'd be disappointed in is the fact that the genturi doesn't actually quiet the genny down much, and this isn't the primary purpose. What it does do is to redirect the CO fumes to a point above the coach so that they can be dissipated in the air up there, rather than accumulating at ground level. I use mine at Talledega, where there are a huge number of gennies running close together and often little circulation of air, so the more people running genturis, the more breathable the air at ground level. Others have spoken of events where they are manditory, not a bad idea for those of us who like to live.
I believe billh will have some more specific info on this subject, as I think it was from him I got the idea to build my own.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Danny's got it right. An exhaust extension will do very little, if anything, to make a portable generator quiet.

I use an extension on both my RV genset and my my itty bitty portable to gt the fumes up up and awaaaay.

What gen do you have?

You can hear for yourself how much a totally silent exhaust will reduce the overall noise by holding a ball of rags over the exhaust outlet when the gen is running at full chat. The remaining sound is mechanical clatter, which requires the building of an enclosure.

If you post a picture of your exhaust, we can probably offer some tips.

I used flex conduit to extend my Honda exhaust and stainless steel flex tubing from www.McMaster.com for my genset. Both fit pretty well with a little banging and squeezing.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Here is our most popular thread, in terms of viewership, on Barthmobile...

Home Made Genturi

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
After going back and looking it over, I have to apologize. Bill G was the one who got me into the genturi thing. The important thing is that this thread [link above], covers the subject as thoroughly as would be expected on this site, and should be read by all who use gennies even part time.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
I believe billh will have some more specific info on this subject, as I think it was from him I got the idea to build my own.

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
After going back and looking it over, I have to apologize. Bill G was the one who got me into the genturi thing.

This place is like my mailbox......full of bills. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post