Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cracked frame!
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cracked frame!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I do not know of another 30' Breakaway Spartan chassis with this combination that I have. Most all of them have a Dana 80 which is narrower also.

What wheel bolt pattern do you have and what size wheels. This is where you can get the higher weight rating over mine. Now that I am running "G" rated tires I should be very close to your rating.

I would not worry about a slight seeping around the input of the diff. It is a MAJOR job to replace the pinon seal, not for the faint of heart for sure. Mine has the same indication but I am not going to consider replacing until I see a real usage of oil over an extended trip.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dana:
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:

Mine looks like this:

HTH

Heck I could have just used yours. Same rear end , same front end, 10/28/93 Date of mfg. Weights just a bit different.

I looked the specs and info on the 15040S Eaton. Takes 21 pints of Lube. Also I looked at it again and the bottom hole is a drain hole at the bottom center of the case. The next hole up made for a temp sensor(Nice) the higher hole(about 1/2 way up is fill level hole. Fill to the bottom of the hole when leveled. There is also a breather at the top that can also be used to fill it.

Here is a picture of my plate.

Scraped off the grease and sprayed down the whole rear end and scrubbed it down and washed it. There is a plate on the front with the gearing info. I will try to get a picture when it is dry. My tires are 22.5 with a 6 hole bolt pattern. My Pink Buyers Guide for my Aristocrat (renamed Breakaway?) lists 14000, 6000 and 20000 not the 13500, 6000 and 19500 listed on the plate.

There was also another leaf spring added to the front by PO in 1999. Makes sense as I am 4 ft longer.

I cleaned up the pan hard bar also and will move it to level ground to check for play. I think they fixed when they fixed the frame. Did I tell you that repair bill was $5739 when he had it fixed in 2006. PO thought it was caused by a minor accident involving the left rear where the parking brake was left off and it rolled back into another vehicle. Of course it was not found at that time but sometime later.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Interesting that your Spartan rating is 500 lb less on the front than mine but is 4' longer.

I have weighed mine when going out with full water and full fuel (diesel and propane) I am very close to 19,000 lb.

I believe the Eaton 15040s is rated at 15,000 lb, but the limiting factors may be brakes, tires or spring rating.

With 22.5 tires I would think your have a higher ratio (numeric) than I. Mine is 4.1:1.

I am fairly sure a minor accident at the rear would not cause the frame to crack right at the pan hard rod.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post