Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Carburetor problems
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Carburetor problems
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
On the way home from the Washington GTG, just after putting 40.2 gallons in the rear(holds 40) and 20 gallons in the front, the thing sort of died going up the first hill. It didn't quit, just wouldn't go. We made it to the next exit and replaced all filters including the one in the Q-Jet to no avail. A road service guy took the top of the carb and found some trash in it, put it back together and it ran but not well. We made it home but had to keep the revs high to make it up even slight hills. Question is, do I have the Q-Jet rebuilt, buy a new Q-Jet, or buy something else. My son-in-law says that the intake manifold will only take a Q-Jet and we would have to get a new intake manifold if we want to get a different type of carb. Would appreciate comments from those who "been there, done that".
Jim

The fella who worked on our MH was great. He was with us for 6 hrs including travel time & a trip to the store. He bought 3 filters for us & took the carb apart with me holding the flashlight which took at least an hour or more. He was a diesel guy but knew enough to take the top off carb which is in my opinion very complicated without having a workbench. I learned that I don't won't ever be doing thatSmiler Only chgd us $200.
I guess we were the third of "everything happens in threes". My pics are minor compared to Nicks & Marys but I took them anyway.

OK it's not as dramatic as Mary & Nick

Jim calling for help.

three of the fuel filters/the mechanic only found two new ones & used the best of the three on the return line. We are all puzzled about a filter on the return line. & he replaced the one up in the carb.
IMG]http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv240/barth_upload/pictures/P1010066.jpg[/IMG]
Mr Wyatt assessing our delimma

If you are in the Staunton, VA area he was great

Our welcoming committee Luke, Julie & Jeremy Red, Beau & Joe

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
The Q'Jet is a constant problem that never gets better. A new Holley will solve the problems and there are a number of adapter plates available to mate to just about any intake. Call Jegs or Summit and they can give you the necessary adapters for the GM intake to fit. If you have changed the cam or any change in displacement (boring the block, stroking etc.) be sure and tell them. They can get you going very quickly.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I would have thought Holley, but a quick Google of "Holley versus Quadrajet" provided a surprise. Almost everyone leaned towards the Q-Jet for durability, drive-ability and dependability. Who knew?

Jegs sells re manufactured Q-Jets for $299 and I'm sure there are others.

I would recommend you pull your spark plus and read them for tell-tale signs of what is wrong. Could you have gotten bad fuel? Could you have a collapsing fuel line under load? Plugged vent in the fuel system or gas cap?

Additionally, if you aren't running an HEI ignition, that would be a huge benefit to reliability.

With gas engines it always boils down to spark, fuel and timing!! I always try to eliminate two, which points towards the offender.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Is it possible the second line with the filter was to your generator and not a return line? I've never seen a return line on a Q Jet before. Very fishy!!

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
On the way home from the Washington GTG, just after putting 40.2 gallons in the rear(holds 40) and 20 gallons in the front, the thing sort of died going up the first hill. It didn't quit, just wouldn't go. We made it to the next exit and replaced all filters including the one in the Q-Jet to no avail. A road service guy took the top of the carb and found some trash in it, put it back together and it ran but not well. We made it home but had to keep the revs high to make it up even slight hills. Question is, do I have the Q-Jet rebuilt, buy a new Q-Jet, or buy something else. My son-in-law says that the intake manifold will only take a Q-Jet and we would have to get a new intake manifold if we want to get a different type of carb. Would appreciate comments from those who "been there, done that".
Jim

I like (and use) Holleys on hot rods and hot boats. I prefer Qjets on motor homes and mild street vehicles because of their better part-throttle operation, economy and fire resistance. The Holley has narrow gaskets between the main body and the jet blocks and the float bowls. An RV that gets hot, then sits for a winter, can end up with dried out, shrunken gaskets that leak fuel on top of the intake manifold. You can find a little more on this by searching the site for Holley.

I believe Lee posted a good Qjet guy.

I had mine done by C&J Engineering in Whittier, but they are a little high for a stock application. I needed some real expertise because of my engine, and I have been happy with their work in the past.

An Edelbrock Performer is not a bad carb. Essentially a modded Carter AFB, which was a good carb, but lacked the small primaries which make me like the Qjet.

If you do go Holley, I would recommend a 3310. I keep one around as a trouble-shooting substitute, and it works well on everything, literally from a 3 liter Corvair to a coupla 502 Chevies.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Daddo
posted Hide Post
I'd stick with the Q-jet. After doing extensive research on them over the last couple weeks I determined that it is important to understand the Q-jet or find a mechanic that does but that the negative reputation is apparently undeserved.

83 28' Barth "Euro"
Chevrolet 454
P-32 Chassis

Posts: 34 | Location: Chambersburg, PA | Member Since: 09-14-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Were you keeping revs up or keeping the foot in it? Revs up would point to transmission, foot in it would lead me to think about carb icing. Carb icing would give the problems and after sitting the chamber thaws and might not get quite so choked after the time frame. Humidity might have dropped significantly after the 6 plus hours. Did you remove or change the position of the heater/plenum hose to the carb?
I prefer the Q-jet and AFB but it might be easier to buy a new Holley than find someone capable of doing the rebuild reliably.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
From a 2005 post - He's still there.......
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For those who may be contemplating having their 454 Q-J carb rebuilt and don't have a local reliable source, I'd highly recommend that you pack it off to: Auto Clinic, 722 M-139, Benton Harbor, MI 49022.

Oscar Heritz, the owner, has been rebuilding carbs full time since high school - he's a year or two from retirement now. He specializes in GM products. He's inventoried "cleaning products" that the EPA yanked off the market years ago, and your carb comes back looking better than the day it was originally manufactured.

I think I spent less than $20 shipping both ways....More than off-set by his small town labor rates......

He'll gladly answer any phone questions: call 269-927-2237 (If he sounds a tad grumpy, it's because he is, but it grows on you .........)

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
You have to be a tad grumpy working on Q-Jets! My take on them...when they work properly, they are great. It's just getting them to work properly. The other thing is that most every average repair mechanic can and has worked on a Holley. Parts are readily available. And yes, they do make a Holley that will bolt on in place of a Q-Jet with no modifications to the intake. The Edelbrock will also bolt on in place of a Q-Jet, though I am not a fan of that carb either. But I am not familiar with MH applications that bill h speaks of previously.
And by the way, it does sound like a carb problem which would mean rebuild or replace.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce & Kathleen:
You have to be a tad grumpy working on Q-Jets!

LOL. Sounds like you have met my carb guys. Or at least the grumpy one. Smiler

That said, getting the last bit of perfection out of a Qjet requires infinite patience and a source of needles and springs. And either a flow bench or a dragstrip.

quote:

they do make a Holley that will bolt on in place of a Q-Jet with no modifications to the intake.

I don't think they have made it for a while. The one I used was a 6619. It was a good performing Qjet replacement, but didn't get the mileage that the Qjet did. In general, Holleys don't offer the precision fuel mixture control that the constantly varying tapered needles of the Qjet.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Holley still makes a 600 & 650cfm spread bore carb. Not saying it is better than a q-jet, just an alternative. Again, if the q-jet is tuned properly, it is a great carb. But that is alot easier said than done. Just about every mechanic can work on a Holley.....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if there's a sock filter in the fuel tank. Frankly, the issues, to me, don't all point to a carb problem. Q-Jets may deteriorate over time, but I've never had one just quit.

The symptom is also one of a failing fuel pump.

In short, I suspect inadequate fuel supply.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I'm wondering if there's a sock filter in the fuel tank.

The symptom is also one of a failing fuel pump.

In short, I suspect inadequate fuel supply.

Either way, a fuel gauge would be useful.

Another possibility is an old and cracked rubber fuel line sucking air. As a temporary measure only, you can run some copper line up in to the cockpit, with a few inches of clear vinyl tubing. Any bubbles will tell you.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
If You find you have good fuel presure and Qjet was running good before this, I would find a good Qjet rebuilder rather than change carb. Qjet have in my opinion have very good metering system. Find a GOOD rebuilder even if you have to send it out. In my youth days I rebult several Qjets, Now days good carb cleaner to expensive,stinks and not as good as pre EPA days. Let a good pro do it. A rebuilt Qjet, new plugs/wires and no vacume leaks can sure make an engine purrr.
Doorman
Doorman.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I'm wondering if there's a sock filter in the fuel tank.

There probably is. GM used them, and Barth might have left it in.

I had a sock clog on a car, and used tubing stuck into the filler neck for trouble shooting. I wanted to know for sure before dropping the tank.

My own situation was perverse....I had acquired a floating gob of slime that wrapped itself around the sock whenever I went uphill with a low tank or the tank got really low on flat terrain. Adding gas made it run OK.