Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Coolant Overflow Bottle
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Coolant Overflow Bottle
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted
I stopped by Carl F.'s place this week. Nice guy, nice Barth, had a nice visit. I particularly liked the immaculate and comfortable interior.

I violated rule No. 1 and tried to assist with a few items. Since some of the process of id things is a 2-man job, we had some success.

Unfortunately, when shaking his coolant overflow bottle to better see the fluid level, my thumb punctured the brittle container wall. Not trying to justify the action, but if it was that brittle it was overdue for replacement.

This sounds like a no brainer, until one tries to find a replacement.

Two questions:
1. I cannot find an aftermarket branded or generic replacement of the similar form factor/size. I have visited Chevy, Napa, Advanced Auto and searched endlessly on the web. Does anyone know of a source for a similar size/factor/selection of bottles?

2. The bottle appears to be of 3 to 4 quart capacity. The largest generic replacement I could find is 2.5 quart at Advanced Auto. For his Checy 454, is a 2.5 quart overflow bottle of adequate size?

Views of the bottle (to judge the size, the mount holes are 6 in. centers):

bottle view 1

bottle view 3

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Check Ebay Item number: 260020756596

Bill & Diane
1973 25'

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago my coolant bottle ruptured when we stopped for a potty call, & spilled its contents in the rest area parking lot, a scary sight until I saw what actually happened. Believing that all the expansion had gone out of the system, we continued to our destination without incident, keeping a close eye on the temp gauge.

I bought a generic at a parts house, cobbled up a mount & it works fine. The rig (sorry Dave, I've been using that term too many years to change) is in storage so I can't take a look or a photo to describe it accurately, but it isn't any bigger than 2.5 quarts. My original wasn't either, not nearly the size of your original example.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This might work, although you've probably seen it. My 6.5L TD has about a 1-gallon tank, but the "cold" and "hot" level markers are at about 1/2 qt. and 1 qt., respectively, so 2.5 qts should be enough.

And Carl certainly helped me when I visited, chauffering me to the auto parts store and helping repair wires to the house A/C control board...fine gentlemen and a very, very nice Barth.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Rusty, your 1 gallon bottle sounds like his bottle, as the cold and hot marks were very low on the bottle.

I doubt that the 1 gallon size can be found. Since I poked my thumb through it, I have been searching junk yards for a bottle config that will kinda match his, but so far no luck - too 'deep' front to back.

If it were mine, I would install the 2 qt napa unit, top off the coolant, put the bottle level at 3/8 quart , run the engine until the thermostat temp is reached, check the bottle. If it is not over 7/8 full, I would go with it.

1 gallon is overkill on a healthy 454 cooling system, and if it is not healthy, a 5 gallon bottle won't save your butt!

My Cummins holds 12 gallons of coolant, and it's bottle is only one gallon, with cold mark at 1 qt. and hot mark at 2 qt.

On a 'generic' bottle hot and cold marks are arbitrary anyways.

But I feel bad about ruining his bottle, but it could be a blessing in disguise. At least I left a very good dog leash behind to console him :-)

I would reccommend that everyone try to poke their thumb through the overflow bottle periodically!

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Carl certainly helped me when I visited, chauffering me to the auto parts store and helping repair wires to the house A/C control board...fine gentlemen and a very, very nice Barth.

Yup, a very helpful and friendly guy - and mary was fun to talk with.

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
...cobbled up a mount & it works fine ...
I once had an old vehicle that I located a resting place for a bottle that it would sit unsecured, for years.

posted Hide Post
Bill Stevson has the right answer. Buy the 88-98 GMC/Chevy Truck Coolant Reservoir Bottle from 1A Auto. I checked my '85 Chevy Truck Parts
Book and the Coolant bottle wasn't shown. If the
bottle can be used for all Chevy Trucks, which would include the 454 V8 models, then it can be used on the Motorhome chassis of the same vintage. I called 1A Auto to verify this point, and the technical person checked and said that it covered the 454 V8. The picture on Ebay doesn't show the mounting holes, but the description said that it can be directly bolted on the vehicle. I asked the technical person how much the bottle held, but he couldn't tell me, and their warehoouse is at another location, so he couldn't check it.

This same overflow bottle was used as a temporary fuel tank to transport the chassis to
the car and train carriers and off of them at the delivery point. When the 1973 oil shortage
turned off sales of the motorhomes, Chevrolet had chassis at the various motorhome builders that had sat in storage for over a year. The result was that the sun had depleted the plastisizers out of the bottle, and the bottles cracked and broke. However, the gas had evaporated and left a gooey mess at the bottom of the bottle. We had to put a black baggie over the bottle to keep out the sunlight, and add a label warning that this the temporary fuel tank, and do not remove the baggie until the chassis was built into a motorhome.

Jake Jacobson

Posts: 69 | Location: Harper Woods, MI, USA | Member Since: 05-06-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Again a sincere thanks to all. I tried E-Bay,Googled around the world,called the local parts stores and came up ziltch. I was trying to retain the approximate size of the original tank. All the Chevy and GMC (as all others) tanks exceeded the front to rear measurement. I took the advise about the "universal" tank from NAPA and installed it today. It looks tiny compared to the original but was easy to install. Will crank it over tomorrow and will keep you posted if there are problems. Although Garryp really felt bad when the tank ruptured,I felt pretty darn good that all this happened in my driveway and not in the middle of nowhere.

"THE TOY" 88 33' Regal SE Coach #3448

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me how to get my screens off so I can clean them? I have a 28' 1991 Breakaway. Thanks.

Posts: 17 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Member Since: 10-03-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
To what screens do you refer?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sniboy:
Can anyone tell me how to get my screens off so I can clean them?
Now that's a Thread Drift or is it hijacking a thread? Wink In this case I like hijacking a thread better. Look at me talk about thread drift. Big Grin Ha,ha,ha!
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I think he's talking about the sliding window screens.

In my coach I have Hehr Windows. The lower track and upper track has a piece of plastic in it that the screen slides on. Open the window and screen all of the way towards the front of the coach and place a screwdriver tip under the upper piece of plastic in the track farthest from the screen. Pry down on the plastic just enough to grab it with your finger tip. pull the plastic out but try not to kink it.

Now the upper track has more room. Move the screen to the middle of the window and lift up. The screen will travel farther upwards then the frame of the screen thus allowing you to pull it away at the bottom while lowering it out of the upper track.

(Stay with me, I'm trying to get this to come full circle)
Now if you are talking about the screen on your computer monitor... Carl Flack, who oddly enough this thread was started about, has a great screen cleaner for the inside of your monitor that he'll send you thru an Email for free. After I used it I don't have to lean forward to stare at my "Dirty Screen" anymore. It works great and I didn't have to remove it! Cool

To get this train back on track. If the other one doesn't work Carl this looks nice and can be found here

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to check my Hehr windowns to see if N.Y. Bill's advice about the upper slide applies to mine. It would be a lot easier than what I've been doing, i.e. open both window & screen all the way, slide the screen back far enough to free the rounded end, work the bottom of the screen out as far as possible, then pull on the center of the vertical rib to flex the screen enough to pull it all the way out. Installation is the reverse.

If that upper track insert is indeed there, it will be a whole lot easier, & a lot less likely to damage the screen.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
quote:
Can anyone tell me how to get my screens off so I can clean them?
Now that's a Thread Drift or is it hijacking a thread? Wink In this case I like hijacking a thread better. Look at me talk about thread drift. Big Grin Ha,ha,ha!
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I think he's talking about the sliding window screens.

In my coach I have Hehr Windows. The lower track and upper track has a piece of plastic in it that the screen slides on. Open the window and screen all of the way towards the front of the coach and place a screwdriver tip under the upper piece of plastic in the track farthest from the screen. Pry down on the plastic just enough to grab it with your finger tip. pull the plastic out but try not to kink it.

Now the upper track has more room. Move the screen to the middle of the window and lift up. The screen will travel farther upwards then the frame of the screen thus allowing you to pull it away at the bottom while lowering it out of the upper track.

(Stay with me, I'm trying to get this to come full circle)
Now if you are talking about the screen on your computer monitor... Carl Flack, who oddly enough this thread was started about, has a great screen cleaner for the inside of your monitor that he'll send you thru an Email for free. After I used it I don't have to lean forward to stare at my "Dirty Screen" anymore. It works great and I didn't have to remove it! Cool

To get this train back on track. If the other one doesn't work Carl this looks nice and can be found here
Bill, I am slowly figuring out this thread business and one day might actually understand it. Thanks for the info. Most helpful. Smith

Posts: 17 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Member Since: 10-03-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill, I am slowly figuring out this thread business and one day might actually understand it. Thanks for the info. Most helpful. Smith
Glad you're finding your way around the site better... Remember, your coach #3710 was right behind my #3709 so if you do have Hehr windows then I'm sure yours come out the same way.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post