Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Oil analysis
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Oil analysis
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/13
Picture of sk8er32283
posted
So I just got my oil analysis back from Blackstone labs. They confirmed for me that my oil, that was changed Janurary 2012, is still in excellent shape and confirmed the health of my engine. They said I was good to go for another 7500 miles. This 35 dollar analysis has saved a lot of money, time and let me know how the engine was doing. I will attach my report when I can figure out how to do it from my phone.

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Allison 4 speed w/ air shifter
Gillig Chassis
7.5KW Onan Diesel Generator
Click for Charleston, South Carolina Forecast

Posts: 81 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID(United States Navy) | Member Since: 01-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Never mind, here it is:

I have used Blackstone analysis for several years on my Lycoming airplane engine. After the top end overhaul, we could see the initial break-in wear, then metal content promptly stabilized at nice low levels.

With new Superior cylinders, the engine now has remarkably low oil consumption for an air cooled engine... in the neighborhood of 25-30 hrs per quart! Compressions are always like new also.

It is approaching normal overhaul hours but no way I'll tear it down until compression goes down, oil consumption goes way up, or oil analysis shows strange metals.

A good oil analysis history is really valuable to monitor an engine. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for the discussion on the cost of oil analysis vs. the cost of an oil change.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post