Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Replacing an old curved 1973 (24 1/4 x 49 1/2) windshield.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Replacing an old curved 1973 (24 1/4 x 49 1/2) windshield.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/16
posted
I have a 22 foot Barth with a cracked drivers side windshield. I am having great difficulty finding a replacement. Online RV windshield replacemnt companies say they are sorry, no help... Thank you!!!

Posts: 10 | Location: West Pittston | Member Since: 05-26-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Guardian Glass.
See this thread:
https://www.barthmobile.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000577.html
quote:
Originally posted by JHann1:
I have a 22 foot Barth with a cracked drivers side windshield. I am having great difficulty finding a replacement. Online RV windshield replacemnt companies say they are sorry, no help... Thank you!!!

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
I have a 22' 1972 with a cracked windshield. I found a replacement for both sides at Duncan Glass. They are higher priced than Guardian, but they have the glass in stock. There is a post somewhere in Barthmobile that I included the phone number and extension for Duncan.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hello and welcome to the website. You shouldn't have this much trouble getting that windshield. it is part number DW 731(DW 730 for passenger side).

I have been known to butt in where I shouldn't so I called Mesko Glass up there in Pottston and they were of no help. It looks like your best deal will be with Old Forge Glass however, they don't have a price for me. You want to pay around $300.00 or less with install. I know by looking at the map that you are out a ways. You may have to do some research around Wilksbarre or Scranton.

Make sure you ask if they buy their RV glass from Duncan Systems. Try to avoid them if they do. Duncan glass is ususally way too expensive. Many glass shops take the easy way and pay the big bucks to Duncan because they advertize themselves as the RV glass experts and have a lot of glass in stock.

Best of luck and keep us up to date as to how it works out. It should not be this big of a deal the windshield you are looking for is very common in delivery trucks and such and should be very available.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited May 26, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Talked with Jim at Old Forge Glass in Old Forge, PA $169.00 installed, 1 to 2 weeks to get the glass.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
U da Man, Dave !

quote:
Originally posted by davebowers:
Talked with Jim at Old Forge Glass in Old Forge, PA $169.00 installed, 1 to 2 weeks to get the glass.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW !! Many thanks to all responders. I had visions of shrinking the enclosure and building a less than suitable replacement. My local glass company that I went to first called last evening and stated a replacement windshield is being made. I expect to see the work complete in 2 weeks, the Barth can be inspected, and I should be ready for Turn 2 at Pocono. This was a great experience...

Posts: 10 | Location: West Pittston | Member Since: 05-26-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to thank you. Your help was significant. My dad bought the Barth new and it holds a special place in my life since he is gone. Thank you..
quote:
Originally posted by davebowers:
Hello and welcome to the website. You shouldn't have this much trouble getting that windshield. it is part number DW 731(DW 730 for passenger side).

I have been known to butt in where I shouldn't so I called Mesko Glass up there in Pottston and they were of no help. It looks like your best deal will be with Old Forge Glass however, they don't have a price for me. You want to pay around $300.00 or less with install. I know by looking at the map that you are out a ways. You may have to do some research around Wilksbarre or Scranton.

Make sure you ask if they buy their RV glass from Duncan Systems. Try to avoid them if they do. Duncan glass is ususally way too expensive. Many glass shops take the easy way and pay the big bucks to Duncan because they advertize themselves as the RV glass experts and have a lot of glass in stock.

Best of luck and keep us up to date as to how it works out. It should not be this big of a deal the windshield you are looking for is very common in delivery trucks and such and should be very available.

posted Hide Post
I have a W718 windshield if anyone is interested.
It is new, never installed.
I ll take 50 for it as I have no use for it.
I am between Detroit and Toledo.
Thanks.
skilledworkingman at yahoo. com

Posts: 1 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Member Since: 03-05-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hiya,
I just joined, as I was going to look at a 1973 19' tomorrow, I was doing my homework on the Mfg, and model. as this will be my first Barth, or RV for that matter. I tried to scour all the windshield topics some go back quite a few years. But from what I understand, the short windshield type will be impossible to find replacements for, is this still accurate?.Sadly. It looks like a really well kept rig, but having no replacement windshield is scary thought. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Glenn

Posts: 4 | Location: Montreal | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Thumbs Up cheers Welcome Glenn. The Barth pictured sure looks pretty. Thumbs Up I think the windshields are available for your Barth, but let the rest of our community speak up.
I am looking at the rear wheels on that Barth, and it seems like there are only single wheels, or is that an optical illusion.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Kevin,
Thanks!
Not sure, there is only 3 pictures he has up, I would believe there should be 2 tires per side at the back. Cannot tell from his pictures though.

Posts: 4 | Location: Montreal | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another picture of it.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I cannot tell from that picture either if it has dual rear wheels. When you go see the Barth please look behind the driver curtain for one of these

Please bring back a picture for our files here even if you do not purchase the rig. We have a list of data tags and may even already have some information on the Barth.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The early shorter windshields are currently unavailable. A while back we sold the last known pair. To my knowledge there are no more. Here is a thread on that topic:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...061/m/4283989487/p/1

Worse yet, we do not even know what vehicles used them as OEM and would be possible sources for salvage.

Looks like a nice coach, good luck with the windshields.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5163 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post