Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    sway bar
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

sway bar
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted
As posted as part of another subject, I have missing sway bar bushings in the front where it goes thru the U brackets parallel to the front. I went online to look at these hoping they would come in two halves so I could push new ones in without taking the thing apart. Does not seem to be the way.

For those that have replaced theirs, I would appreciate best practices before I get started. Thanks.

94 breakaway
Gillig chassis

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
They are usually split (a single slit) so they can be easily slipped over the sway bar.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
First be very careful! The sway bar is under tension to force the suspension downward. You must not remove the bushing caps until you have secured the bar. Here is how I did it. Place the leveling jacks on boards and raise the front end to relax the sway bar. You do not need to get the wheels off the ground. Then place a bottle jack under one side about three to four inches outside toward the front wheel and juck it just to where it contacts the bar. You have to align the jack to press the bar up slightly so it does not move when you remove the bushing cap bolts. Remove the top bolt first and confirm that there is no upward pressure on the bar. Then remove the lower bolt and slide the cap off the bar. Carefully place the ne bushing witthe slit towards the crossmember and apply wheel grease or liquid soap to the area of the bushing. Press bushing into place and replace the cap and install the bolts. Check that everything is secure and then disengage the bottle jack and move to the other side. Repeat the process and then slowly retract the jacks and you are finished. You might check the outer bushings on each side of the sway bar in case they have been damaged or destroyed as well. If they need replacement you should do the interior bushings first, then remove the wheels and let the suspnsion go all the way down to take all tension off the bar. Then replace the bushings and bolts as a set and do one side at a time. Be careful and use good tools.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the detailed procedure. I surely do not want to get wacked with that bad boy.

Tom Taylor

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post