Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Speedometer Connection to Tranny
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Speedometer Connection to Tranny
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted
My speedometer, odometer and cruise control stopped working a few weeks back.

It seems prudent that it's the connection between the input shaft of the Mini-Gen [which generates a signal for the speedometer] and the Alison.

Does anyone know what this "part" is called or where to obtain this unidentified part???

It's a large nut [possibly 1 & 1/8 inch] which threads onto the speedometer ouput of the transmission. It seems to me that this is where the problem is, as the second Mini-Gen [for the cruise control] is stacked on-top-of the first Mini-Gen [which is for the speedometer and odometer]. If everything stopped working at the same time, I can only deduce that it must be the connection to the transmission and whatever the gizmo is called that connects the Mini-Gens to it and "whatever" it actually does.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
The shop was able to find this part ...seemed to have been a bit of a challenge to find. Most of you probably already know this, but for those who don't, it's know as a Speedometer Ratio Adaptor. A little thingy containing 5 gears and a couple of shafts. Runs about 235 Bucks...

Speedometer, Odometer and Cruise Control are now back-on-line for the next 20 years!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Medic37:
The shop was able to find this part...
That's fantastic - glad to hear that you're good to go! Do you have a part number and brand name make that you can share?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Bill...

That was one of the problems in finding a replacement ...there are no numbers that seemed to correspond with anything on the old one.

I'll crawl-under and take a look at the new one and try to capture that information.

The mechanic had to shoot-in-the-dark and just ordered what he thought was right, and it was.

Heading to Wisconsin for a couple days of hard-core bike riding!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

posted Hide Post
I have the exact same problem and need to know where to obtain the Mini-Gen that this fellows shop
found. Where , PLEASE.

Allison 4 speed model MT 647 with cruise control stacked on top of the Mini-Gen with another Mini gen for it.

Thank you.,

Posts: 1 | Location: Chattanooga,TN | Member Since: 04-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Ok. I don't know if this will be any real help. When ours failed the first time I took it off and cleaned and regreased everything. It worked again for about a year or so.
Last year it quit in the summer and in the fall when it was in for a check over and oil change before we headed south I had the mech look at it. If I remember correctly, he said something about the internals were not connecting. Freewheeling, sort of and he TACK WELDED IT!! Worked fine all the way to Arizona and back this year.
At 235 clams maybe it's worth a try?
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
I went the same route as Don did initially. Removed-it, took it apart, cleaned and regreased, then reinstalled ...still didn't work.

I replied to Bill's post that I would crawl-under and attempt to retrieve some information off of the new part once it had been replaced. I did look, but couldn't really see much, since it is mounted in a precarious location.

I will do three things:

1. Look at the repair invoice and see if there are any references there.
2. Crawl under tomorrow and see if I can "see" any better this time.
3. Contact the mechanic to find-out the numbers and where this can be obtained. I'm pretty certain it came from a distributor in Minneapolis or St. Paul.

...I will attempt to get this posted sometime tomorrow...

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2