Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    biodiesel
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

biodiesel
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
re: "I have been playing with (making) Bio-Diesel and WVO for about 6 years. I have/had 5 VW diesels all over 300,000k and my Breakaway...."

What did your findings indicate ob your Breakaway?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eric D.
posted Hide Post
To Eric with a Breakaway from Eric with a Breakaway.I also am interested more complete information relating to veggie/bio fuels for the econo rv.Whenever you can,thanks another Eric.

Posts: 44 | Location: Bay Area | Member Since: 02-21-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
ancient thread but was looking around for Bio-diesel info..

Found this: Cat Bio-diesel Validation

snipet:
"...Engines manufactured in 2006 and earlier:
Up to B30 maximum blend level acceptable for:
Ø ACERT Technology: C7, C9, C11, C13, C15, C18, C27, C32
Ø 3114, 3116, 3126, 3176, 3196, 3208, 3306, C-9, C-10, C-12, 3406, C-15, C-16, C-18, 3456, 3408, 3412, 3500 Series, C175 Series, 3600 Series, C280 Series, CM20, CM25 and CM32..."

anything new these days on the topic of alternative fueling..?

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W:
ancient thread but was looking around for Bio-diesel info..

anything new these days on the topic of alternative fueling..?

Still mostly the same as the original invention of the first diesel by Rudolph Diesel

Mike it depends on what you want to do. You can extract the glycerin from waste vegtable oil. You can run RUG which is Regular Unleaded Gas with your waste vegtable oil mixed into the diesel. You can heat the diesel to 150 degrees farenheit to get the viscosity of petrol diesel once the engine is warm.
Be aware when you run any vegtable oil even B20 which is only 20% waste vegtable oil it will clean your fuel system and you should carry extra fuel filters.
Here is a Craigslist link for a grease car kit. You can use something like this in your Barth with a larger heat exchanger. The larger heat exchanger is needed since the 3208 will consume around 8 gallons per hour at 60 miles per hour. The grease car kit would be perfect to dry camp using a diesel generator while running it on waste vegtable oil.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
I am under the impression than veggie-oil and bio-diesel are two different preparations.. is that correct.? I'd be interested in B30 for my 3208T as mentioned in the previous posting..

old Consumer Reports article..

Anyone using B30 in their older Cats ?

found the definition, guess they are similar..

biodiesel bī′ō-dē″zəl, -səl
n. A biofuel made by processing vegetable oils and other fats for use in a diesel engine, either in pure form or as an additive to conventional diesel fuel.
n. Fuel for diesel engines made of renewable organic raw materials as opposed to fossil hydrocarbons.

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W:
I am under the impression that veggie-oil and bio-diesel are two different preparations.. is that correct.? I'd be interested in B30 for my 3208T as mentioned in the previous posting..

You are correct correct Mike. Vegtable oil can be new or waste from restaurants. Bio-diesel is A blend of diesel fuel and vegtable oil after the transesterification process which removes the glycerin. B30 is 70% diesel and 30% vegtable oil that has gone through the transesterification process. Biodiesel includes from 5% and up 100% vegtable oil that has gone through the transesterification process.

Bio-fuel has NOT gone through the transesterification process. It can be up to 30% RUG regular unleaded gas with vegtable oil and diesel. The mixture I used in my off road diesel equipment was 20% stale unleaded gas, 30% diesel petrol, and 50% vegtable oil. I also used heated fuel filters available from Wix.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just some info , i do not want to convert anyone , it is some facts , ignore if you wish , please do not take offence

biodiesel is a joke . and a expensive at that .

if you have surplus or assess to " free or low cost veg oil , burn it in something simple to produce heat like a water heater . use the energy savings to by #2 diesel .

a car, bus , truck ,or rv is a complicated thing , running bio fuel in one of them ,just adds complications .....

we have been in the vw parts business and we have sold maybe 2000 diesel engines and maybe 10,000 injection pumps over the last 30 years . we have purchased more than a few expensive biodiesel projects over the years as scrap at 5% or less than the dollars invested in them . we have sold many a $1000 injection pump because it was full of vegetable crap . i guess a Cumming injection pump and a set of injectors and a tow bIll is 5X more AND more than 5 years of fuel .

if you are an engineer or the like and need a project buy an other RV to spend your time on and keep your first RV AS A RUNNING vacation home on the road and dependable and spend your time and money on your hobby

biodiesel is used in nothing ,nothing , that is not subsidized . o

if your a Willie Nelson or have a friend that can get your a government grant or never add up the money your as spending ; ignore this ......

Posts: 65 | Location: Royal Oak, Michigan | Member Since: 06-14-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Jack,
My main interest in this possibility are the environmental benefits and an acceptance of the existence of Climate Change.....However, there are pros and cons to it..
An older article from 2018..
Pros And Cons Of Biodiesel

even considering converting my '65 mustang to electric.. Tooling Along

M/C-W

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W: even considering converting my '65 mustang to electric.. Tooling Along

Thread drift and off topic, but Thumbs Down Do NOT convert an American classic legend. I had a 1965 Mustang and wanted to put a Mercedes diesel in it. Thumbs Down That was a NO NO also.
Instead consider buying a 64 Falcon and putting the Mustang body parts the base frame. Then you can do what ever you want to the old Falcon.
Back on topic. Jack is correct becuase the refinement process for making Bio-Diesel, or Bio-Fuel is tedious and time consuming. If it is not correct injection pumps will fail.
My converted fuel oil burner is more forgiving when burning straight vegtable oil with less work.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
even considering converting my '65 mustang to electric..

Well if it is a 6 cylinder, rusty and not a convertible, Ok go ahead. Anything else, you probably will be hung and quartered by the Pony Police!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
[QUOTE]even considering converting my '65 mustang to electric..

quote:
Anything else, you probably will be hung and quartered by the Pony Police!!!

Of which my wife is a card carrying member...

M/C-W