Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
We will be buying a TPMS for our 1995 Saturn that will be our toad for the Minnie Winnie. I've read some of the past posts to get an idea of how the different systems rank, but nothing recent. Please share recommendations.
Thanks
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Lets see, a good tire pressure gage is about $5, a monitoring system is about $200, Think I might not, but then I am not a rich man! To each his own. I know it is easier but!!! Sorry

Although I would like the system on my Barth!! Dual rears are a pain even though I have the those great extensions Steve!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Jim i am surprised you got little response to your inquiry. As a group I don't believe we have many using them.

I see them as insurance. You don't need it unless you have problems. On tire going flat and shredding because you didn't know would pay for the unit on my coach. It is on my list before I hit the road after retirement.

$200 dollar Duane that is just the unit and then you have 10 monitors at $30 each. That is just rough figures but I have been looking. It is a ways down the list. I check every day if moving. But going down the road stuff happens.

Jim I wish I had more for you on this. I know Billy T recommends one. I repaired alligator slap damage on the rear wheel well on Midnight. I don't think Morris even knew. He pointed out a whole bunch of little minor issues. It was at the top that is hard to see.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
I have not used one yet , but can see the advantage .
You never know when you might get a leak and it go unnoticed until there's a mess .
Many of our friends with the Wanderlodges run them. I don't know which one they consider the best .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Back in the olden days, truckers carried a 3 foot or so 1.5 inch pipe and made us window washers whack each tire to make sure it had good pressure. I was a skinny 16 year old kid and most of them did not trust me to whack, thought I was to weak.. Oh the good ole days!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I'm more concerned about the toad than our Minnie Winnie. If a tire blows on the toad, I might not even notice it until it has done some serious damage or caused an accident. I try to keep good tires on everything, but you never know. Perhaps Billy T will chime in

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
don't know how long I towed my car on a tandem axle trailer, with a blown tire, before I realized it. Stopped for fuel and took a short nap, because I did not feel well. When I decided to roll again, I forced myself to do a walk-around before resuming my journey home from FL. OH OH... one of four tires on trailer SHREDDED. realized that I had bent one of the trailer axles in stupident months before (going to FL from shop in Nacogdoches).
Good rear view cameras might be as effective as wireless TPMS, if you pay attention. just used my SWIFT HITCH to connect car trailer to coach for a trip up North. works like a dream, with iPhone as a rear view mirror. I mount camera temporarily on rear louvers with a bent piece of steel.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
My 2009 Saturn VUE hybrid
has them in car/tires as standard....tells me
(on dash computer screen)
when any are low as I drive...

ps have driven to Mexico >GTO twice
from Nova Scotia with no problems

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I read recently about rubber valve stems failing because of the extra weight of the sending unit. They said use all metal stems.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I also wondered if the sensors would make the wheel out of balance.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
TPMS

read this--
https://www.tpms.ca/

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post