Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Parts
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Parts
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi,
New kid on the block here. Looking at purchasing a 92 model. Anyone know how hard finding parts for these vehicles are?
Thanks so much!

Posts: 4 | Location: Saint Petersburg, FL | Member Since: 08-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
What model, what engine, what transmission, etc.
Makes a big difference. Remember, Barth just built the Body Work. Everything else was purchased from suppliers who for the most part are still in business today.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Hello, and Welcome!

One of our chants here is "All Barths are not the Same."

That said, there are three basic types that cover most Barth motor homes.

Regal gas pullers

Breakaway diesel pushers

Regency diesel pushers.

There are also commercial vehicles built for a special purpose that have been converted for RV use.

All three are built on standard chassis and use standard RV components. The only things that make Barth different is the shell and interior walls and cabinetry, both of which are of the highest quality. The parts you will need to buy are not for the Barth-made areas, but for the chassis and RV areas, which are pretty much the same as any other RV. Getting a part for a Barth is simply a matter of finding the supplier. The folks here are pretty good at that, and share information readily.

Having owned three Fleetwood RVs, I can tell you that having a manufacturer still in business is not much of an advantage. They just told me who the supplier of the part was. All Fleetwood had was a bunch of staple guns, skin and pallet lumber. Everything else came from a vendor.

If you will tell us what model Barth you are looking at, we can answer your questions specifically.

A photo of the data plate would really get you some accurate answers. That failing, the numbers on the plate will really narrow things down.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found it on here. This is the link. Thanks a lot for the advice.
http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...1087061/m/6021011032

Posts: 4 | Location: Saint Petersburg, FL | Member Since: 08-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Hi,

It would be helpful to know which model you are considering ... however, the only thing we have NOT been able to find so far is AN EXACT REPLACEMENT for the clearance lights on the front cap but there are several substitutes which can be easily retrofitted(we chose to repair ours with Loctite STICK N SEAL) Most major parts ... windows, engine, tranny, hoses, etc, etc are readily available through most auto parts stores or onlline. Some can be rebuilt (like our alternator which crapped out on Sunday). A local Auto Electric service center fixed it for us in 15 minutes for $49. (the bearings froze and needed to be replaced)

Anything specific that concerns you?

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only concerns are probably those of anyone purhasing an older model vehicle. My husband and I plan to use this pretty extensively and are not fond (who is - lol) of sitting on the side of the road looking for parts.

posted Hide Post
This is the vehicle I am looking at
http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...1087061/m/6021011032

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Not sure why, but the 2 links look identicle but the first pulls up Bob Pennock's coach and the 2nd pulls up the portal page. Bob's coach looks great to me, and if I was in the market I'd definately scope this one out. The only downside reviewed is the face to face couches, but a table placed in the middle takes care of that for most circumstances.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thefishingal:
My husband and I plan to use this pretty extensively and are not fond (who is - lol) of sitting on the side of the road looking for parts.

Not trying to dissuade you from buying the Breakaway, but one of the reasons I bought a Barth on a Chevy chassis is the ready availability of parts and service for the chassis. It uses the same engine, trans, brakes, electrics as many models of Chevy car and truck. For example, the TH475 trans uses all the same parts, save a few, as all large GM sedans and most GM pickups well into recent years.

The other side of the transmission discussion is that the Allisons are stronger than the TH 400 series.

The lower purchase price of a gasser is negated by the better fuel economy of a diesel if you drive a lot. I believe Bill N.Y. broke it down to miles per year or something. The DPs also drive better.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
We have a '92 breakaway and never had a problem getting parts. Like a lot things you sometimes have to know what you want.

The 5.9 cummins is used by the Dodge PU and a hundred other applications, including many farm based. Transmission is Allison and chassis is spartan.

You also have a great knowledge base here. Good luck.

If you have any specific questions about this unit let us know.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
The Barth on your link is nearly identical to ours, except for the two couches & the tile floor.

Ours is a mid-entry as well with engine, chasis, etc. the same. We paid $30k for ours in 2006 with 101,000 miles on it and considered that a bargain as similar models were selling for $37 - $38K at that time. In today's economy, I would expect to pay closer to 20K.

Buy it ... you;ll like it!

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've never had problems getting parts for the Barth (Spartan chassis, like this one).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
If you mean by this you plan on driving long distances you won't regret the diesel. It's not just more relaxing to have the engine 30' behind you and under the bed, but also the handling in adverse conditions, fuel economy, brakes and ride were designed for the long haul.
That's why we have our Barth. We'll be off to Texas, Arizona and California for the winter about mid December and figure it'll be about a 9k mile round trip.
There are no parts and service issues with a Spartan/Cummins/Allison combo.
When we were looking at Barths a few years ago, we toured this one and it is a very nice coach.
Don and Patty
quote:
Originally posted by thefishingal:
My husband and I plan to use this pretty extensively and are not fond (who is - lol) of sitting on the side of the road looking for parts.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The only drawbacks to the pre-'94 Breakaways are the lack of basement storage and the propane generator. The generator will be loud and suck down propane. I've gone to the Nebraska Star Party, which is in the boonies, and due to the temps, the generator runs 8-10 hrs/day. I used to have to go into town twice to refill with 25 gals LPG (.85 gph). With the gasoline generator, there's a background hum, and a 24-gal tank lasts the entire week (.33 gph).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
I also have a 1992 30' Breakaway (front entrance).
Love it.......

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post