Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Full time use of rear view camera
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Full time use of rear view camera
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Bob G
posted
My 92 Breakaway has the rear view camera set up so when selecting reverse it comes on and off when In drive. Can I select this to stay on when moving forward? If so,how do I activate it?

Posts: 10 | Location: NW iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Welcome Bob,
I see you bought you new to you Barth from Phil! Bob does it still have the original Sony system? Mine was defunct when I got mine. I replaced with a unit from Rearviewsafety. It will come on with the ignition and shift to reverse. There is also a separate power button to stay live. I keep it on whenever I tow the boat or use my bike rack. I like to know what is going on behind because I can't see my boat in the mirrors. I wired the constant power to a hot wire that still runs through the ignition. It shuts off when you turn off the key.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1381 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wired the constant power to a hot wire that still runs through the ignition. It shuts off when you turn off the key.

Wiring the camera depends on your individual needs and preferences.

I wired my camera to a live wire coming from the stereo system. This line is hot all the time from the house batteries. I put a pushbutton switch in the line to turn the camera of when the coach is not in use. When the coach is in use I can monitor the rear of the coach when parked. I also have another camera mounted on the passenger mirror to monitor the entry door while parked. When camping both of the cameras remain on all the time to monitor exterior of the Barth. I can switch the monitor to choose rear camera or entry door camera at the monitor. The entire system cost less than $100. I did use the existing front to rear shielded cable for the rear camera.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Our Breakaway had a Sony system. It came on automatically when in reverse but just by pushing the on button on the console (monitor) the unit would be powered at any time. I used this option to check on the toad while moving forward. The button would also turn off the system. It is the top button on the vertical row of controls on the right hand side of the monitor.

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I do appreciate the feedback!
I have a steep learning curve but I have to say that the absolute wealth of information on these forums is just phenomenal!

Posts: 10 | Location: NW iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Bob,
I'm not far away. Just west in Waseca. Let me know if you need anything. cheers

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1381 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Instead of wiring my camera into the backup light I wired it into rear taillight, stays on at night so I shut off the screen if I do not want to see it, and during the day I can pull out the parking light and see whats going on back there.

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post