Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    P30 suspension and alignment
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

P30 suspension and alignment
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
Here is the bad news: Most P30s have saggy suspension, front and rear. P30s do not handle well.

Here is the good news: Things can be improved considerably. It is best to start at the rear. Ride height should be at factory specs. Dave has the sheet, or I can send the scan to you. The rear ride height can be brought in by replacing springs or a leaf or two, depending on your spring shop, or add on air bags from Firestone or Air Lift. My preference is to have the springs hold the empty coach at the proper height and the add on air bags take up the added load. Once you have the correct height for a given load, you can make a chart ot avoid measuring. That way, you have the ability to always be at the right height.

Once the rear is in spec, the front needs to be raised. This is best done with new springs from an aftermarket source, but air bags can do it. Again, Dave or I can help with the spec sheet. Do not believe that a pressure from a chart will be correct for your coach. The RV manual gives a measurement. Once you have the correct measurement, you will know what pressure to use each time.

Now that you have the suspension height right, and not before it is time to have the front end aligned by a good truck shop. One that knows the difference between a motor home and a potato chip truck. Around 6 degrees of caster.

Henderson-Super Steer suggests:

Left Camber .25 deg. +/- .25 deg.
Right camber 0 deg. +/- .25 deg.
Cross camber .25 deg.
Left caster 5 deg. +/- 1 deg.
Right caster 6 deg. +/- 1 deg.
Cross caster 1 deg.
Toe in .25" +/- .06"

---------------------

IPD suggests:

Camber 0 deg. +/- 1/4 deg.
Caster 6 deg. +/- 1/2 deg. Not the same side to side to allow for road crown.
Toe in 5/16"

----------------------------------------

Chevrolet Motor Home Chassis Service Guide (orange)says:

Caster depends on front ride height dimension A and frame angle. Frame angle is dependant on rear ride height.
Camber: .2 deg.
Toe in: 5/16"

After the front end is aligned, keep the ride heights correct and the alignment will be perfect. This may sound nit-picky, but P30s need all the help they can get. Part of their bad rep is due to insufficient care being taken in ride height and alignment. I suspect more than a few P30 owners might not have felt the need to "trade up" if they had had a proper suspension set-up.

Your Barth deserves the best.

I will be copying and sending to Dave the Chev manual full info in the next few days. If my scanner doesn't hate me, it will be available to you all in a week or so.

Bilstein shocks and steering snubber really help, as do either an IPD or Hellwig front anti-roll bar. The Hellwig is a bit stiffer.

The roller bearing idler arms also help keep it going straight down the road.

Have the steering gearbox adjusted by a pro.

I use a Steer-Safe for stability in a blowout. A Steer Safe will improve a non-tag P30 more than a tag. The non-tags really need the help in straight line stability. The Safe T Steer is also good. For over $700, the Blue Ox Trucenter offers remote neutralizing, which helps in a cross wind.

Henderson's sells a Panhard bar for the rear. It is a bit pricey, so I will be welding up my own. He did tell me that the sturdier P30s, the one with the disk brakes on the rear, don't show as much improvement with the bar as the lighter ones. Due to the heavier springs in the rear doing a better job of axle location.

And then, one can go really crazy and bolt in a P32 wide track front end. Only six bolts on each side.

Anyone know where I can buy one?

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited October 03, 2003).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Boy oh Boy BILL H.
i sure do wish you had a regency diesel pusher on an mcc chassis. i'd love to have a mentor like you keeping us filled in on repairs/redo's on them. i know the p-30 people appreciate your help and i enjoy your posts. keep up the good barthwork. thanks!

mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Earlham is 25 miles west of des moines on I-80. if you're ever this way bill or any of you barthers, stop in. no dump here but i've got a 50 amp recepticle and water available. we're just a mile off interstate in the country.
mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike You are so right. I'm one of those P30's that don't know what I'd do without his knowledge. Bill you sent me the specs on welding the rear brackets, my mechanic didn't mind doing the work but he said the way mine were designed differently and were already beefy enough to handle. I had to agree. I had taken a look at them before I took it in to the shop and found the design to be more like a bell with a stout stem coming out of the side. I wonder if Barth at some point altered this bracket on the units with a tandem axle. I'll never know. But I've got to say now I have Bilstiens on front and rear and man what a difference. Ride and handling has improved 1000% It's like night and day. I do also have air bags all the way around. But as Mike said were lucky to have you out there. Thanks for all your help.

Posts: 22 | Location: St Pete Fl US | Member Since: 06-20-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post