Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Just bought an 84 Regency w/8.2...how's this setup been for people?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Just bought an 84 Regency w/8.2...how's this setup been for people?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello all! My name is Chris Dutro, I'm a computer teacher (nice Forum, Dave!) and my wife is an Art Teacher. We both teach in high Schools. We've just bought an 84 36' Regency, with the Allison/Detroit 8.2 set-up on an MCC (?) chassis. We pick it up next weekend! (6-7-03) I've looked through these posts, and about the only negative thing I've found about this chassis set up is a bit of a lacking of power. Some of you call this set up the "fuel pincher" ? being a broke Teacher I LIKE this nick-name! What kind of mileage do you get? Any known problems? Performance issues? Things I should take care to check? THANKS, Chris

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I should add that I DID read the comments by Dave about the MCC chassis nightmare... but I also saw that another owner had brakes re-padded in New Orleans... so, I can't imagine it's too awful. I am a pretty handy, ex-diesel service mechanic/driver turned Teacher. What brake components are used? I can't believe that MCC made their own proprietary calipers? Is that true? I HAVE restored old british cars... Only worse thing is restoring old FRENCH cars! This rig is NOT the "streamlined" one, but the one with the traditional Barth look. What am I in for here, people? Any satisfied 8.2 owners out there to counter Dave's rather negative comment? I'm no masochist... This rig has 53,000 miles... THANKS again, Chris

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
My opinion about the 8.2 detroit is not good. This was one of Detroit Diesel earliest attempts at a 4 stroke motor. It is a nightmare to change the heads. Please do yourself a favor and NEVER EVER run it hot. Shut it down and pay for roadservice!
If the motor turns off on you it is most likely a burnt out fuel shutdown solenoid. This is common, buy an extra one.
To check this, leave the key on and unplug the wires at the solenoid, you should here a loud clunk. If not and there is power to the solenoid then remove the solenoid, take off the clip and spring from the end of the plunger and reinstall with the wires off, stand back and start up. Because it's an automatic the motor will not shut off until it runs out of fuel or someone brave enough sticks his head into the motor and manually shuts it down. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS, PLEASE PAY SOMEONE TO SHUT IT OFF FOR YOU!!!

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Bill, thanks for the info. I'm quite up to speed on Diesel, but not the 8.2 yet... and have owned many different types, driven trucks and equipment, worked in Parts and Service shops for equipment dealers, and was a service mechanic in a truck depot (SeaLand) for a while in my younger days. I own two VW TDI's... I have no real fears about the drive train... compared to the chassis! It's the MCC chassis I'm really concerned about... any comments out there? Thanks, Chris