Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    85 regal questions
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

85 regal questions
 Login now/Join our community

<therealtigger>
posted
I have several - I hope they are not too dumb.

I lost a belt - I'm not sure what it went to becuase I can't see anything while standing on my head over the carb, but it ended up around the fan shaft. I can see a belt still connected from the shaft to what I think is the water pump (Next to the carb?). There is
an empty place in front of that pully that looks like another belt should go but I can't see what else it would hook to.
Would some kind person please make a simple diagram from the perspective of what I could see if the xz#$% radiator wasn't in the way, and show me the various belts and what they go to.
I think I'm going to haVE TO FIX IT MYSELF unless it isn't critical and I can still drive to the repair shop.

ALSO, I think this is a chevy 454 7.4L eng if the things I have rad are right. Now if that's so what does the 488L that's part of the VIN refer to?

Thanks in advance,
Rusti

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the belt that goes to the alternator and the water pump is still in place and if your coach is like mine the middle belt drives the air conditioning. If so cut the loose belt out and off to the shop you go. Worse case there is no belt on the water pump and you engine will overheat and seize if you continue to drive it while it is overheating. This is clearly a bad deal, watch out. If you want to drive it to be fixed a watchful eye on the water tempature gage is suggested.

On my 73 things are as follows.

I have three V belts.

The belt closest to the radiator:

Crank-water pump-alternator

The middle belt:

Crank –water pump- power steering- air conditioning

The inner most belt (closest to the engine)

Crank –power steering

The middle belt is tensioned by the air conditioner while the innermost belt is tensioned by the power steering. So you have to do the inner belt first and then tension the middle belt.

On mine with the air I can't see much. If you have air-conditioning may I suggest that you remove the dog house cover before you go to work the first time. Once I learned what went where life was Ok. The first time I had no idea and things like the location of the locking bolt for the power steering and fact that there are two bolts best accessed from below the coach that have to be backed off to allow the power steering pump to rotate were as I said initially invisible. All right, I sure did not see them. Now the bolts on the power steering pump had been left loose on my coach by a previous visitor so it was not until I really looked at things did I discover why the power steering belt had a habit of coming off.

I strongly feel I spent more time on the job than the time saved by not removing the dog house cover first. My cover was held in by two screws that toe-nailed into the floor and four to six that were driven in from the front through the 1” bar stock the coach is fabricated out of in the front.

The 488L refers to the number of liters of wine you will have to drink after attempting to fiddle with the belts if you don't take the dog house cover off first. I could be wrong on that so, search for vin number here in the forum, there is a posting that points to a web site that decodes the numbers. I know because I asked about the vin number too.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Here is how my 84 belts are positioned:

Mine has an aftermarket air conditioner (ARA?), using a Sankyo compressor with two grooves on the pulley. The forward groove is not used.

There are three grooves on the crankshaft pulley assembly, with the forward one being larger diameter.

There are two grooves on the water pump, with the forward one being larger.

There is a single smog pump on the right side, under the alternator with one groove.

Alternator has one groove.

The Gates belt numbers and their positions are as follows:

Front belt, 15495, wraps crank pulley, water pump, alternator, and single smog pump on right side.

Middle belt, 15590, wraps crank, Power steering, Air cond, water pump.

Rear belt, 15415, wraps crank and power steering.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<therealtigger>
posted
I used the knowledge from both posts and went back out and tried to see. (age has killed my vision in anything but really bright light.
I only have 2 pullys on the crank shaft, and I have 2 on the water pump. The one on the street side of the water pump is missing, the one on the interior side goes from the crank to the waterpump and then down to something under the driver seat side, I thought it was the generator but when I start the engine the generator gage says it producing 12 volts and the temp isn't going up. I guess I'll be brave and take it up the road to somebody that can see. Thanks for the help.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post