Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Erratic Fuel Gauge
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Erratic Fuel Gauge
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted
While on our recent trip I noticed that my fuel gauge would occasionally act erratically. It would swing madly back and forth from full to half to empty and back, etc. There appears to be no pattern or specific circumstances when this would occur. Has anyone else had this problem? What could be the most likely cause?

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I would check connections first. Grounds included. Even if seemingly tight, remove, clean, treat and reassemble. The connections on the sending unit are exposed to dirt and moisture, so they would be likely suspects, but are harder to access than at the gauge, so check the gauge connections first.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
See if you have an access panel for your dash like the one I mentioned in the "dash access panel thread". I had the same problem with my fuel guage and found it to be a lose connection on the back of the guage. Mine was a "push on" connector that had worked loose due to vibration. In fact my engine temp gauge just recently had the same problem. I guess years of bouncing down the road takes a toll on everything.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
I do have an access panel such as you do. I have posted my own story of enlightenment and discovery. I think the connections are good but I will remove, clean and replace them as well as the same on the sending unit (if I am lucky enough to have it easily accessible).

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
...as well as the same on the sending unit (if I am lucky enough to have it easily accessible).

It will not be "easily accessible" (they never are); however, if you're lucky, you can partially drop the fuel tank and access it.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Strangely enough, my sending unit is accessible. it is at the rear of the tank, and can be cleaned and re-gasketed with the tank in place. I am not sure the sender can be completely removed, though, as there is not a lot of space above. They seem to have left enough space above for the fuel pump. Unfortunately, it is in the middle, reachable only by Plastic Man.

For years, I have squirted PB Blaster on the tank hanger bolts, just in case. Frowner

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Lance, If your gauge does that at about 1/4 tank I wouldn't worry about it. I use the same condition to know when to fill it up. Some times " IF it ain't broke, don't fix it." Tom

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check mine out.
When I fill up it will sometimes show only a half tank. It will stay that way until I really am at a half tank and then after awhile it will go to a quarter of a tank. When I'm at a quarter of a tank on the gauge I know it's time to fill it cause I won't trust it after that.

This erratic fuel gauge behavior started after Hurricane Charley raised the Barth up about a foot on the left side and set it back down with a thump.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
I haven't traveled in our Regency enough to determine any pattern in the fuel gauge. It does seem to be usually good until a little above or below the half full mark. It then swings to empty, then to full, then to some other quantity. I have noticed it go from nearly full to less than half and back a few times. Some time in the not to distant future I may have to check the sending unit connection but from the sound of it I should most likely wait until I have some time and patience to do so.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Mine did that too. Locate the fuel sender on the passenger side of the fuel tank. Disconnect the "Gauge" wire from the sender. Using a variable potentiometer, connect one end to ground and use the other to apply a starting resistance of 33 ohms and slowly increase it to 230 ohms. have someone observe the guage movement while doing this. If it is smooth, call Spartan Chassis & order a new sender.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.