Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Toyo 265/75R22.5 VS Michelin 255/80R22.5?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Toyo 265/75R22.5 VS Michelin 255/80R22.5?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/21
posted
Opinions? I think I've read reviews of people liking them even better than Michelins. I just don't want to regret this decision. Thanks in advance, Blessing

Posts: 34 | Location: Knoxville,Tn | Member Since: 09-07-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
hmmAre we comparing "BRAND" or "Size" of the tire? If I were comparing tires, I would compare the same size. If I were comparing size I would check the circumference. hmm java
I prefer to generally stick with the manufacturer recommendations.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think both. I've read several post about people that changed from 255/80R22.5 to 265/75R22.5 and been very happy. Also, several people said they liked Toyos better than Michelin. Just seeing what people who have switched are thinking.

Posts: 34 | Location: Knoxville,Tn | Member Since: 09-07-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Having seen name brand tires for $600 to $800 each, it bothered me to pay that much for tires I will never use up.

Opinions vary but most agree that RV tires should be replaced when 7-10 years old. Only a few RVs get more than 5,000 miles a year, so we are looking at around 50,000 miles at ten years.

Commercial operators can run several hundred thousand miles in that time. For these high mileage drivers it pays to buy premium tires and get the long miles out of them.

For most RV drivers they will never see half the life of their tires before they age out.

I buy all my tires from a local full service tire shop. They handle everything from wheelbarrows to semi tires. When it came time to get tires for the coach, we discussed Michelins and Goodyears, among others. I asked what the semi fleet drivers were using and they said many are using Chinese tires. They also said they had never had a Chinese tire come back with problems. The Chinese tires were not rated for as many miles tread life, but were much cheaper. Same ply rating and load range.

Given that the Chinese tires were about $400 each and will easily last for ten years worth of miles for me, I had them installed. They are now 4 years old with about 25,000 miles. No problems, lots of tread left.

I can buy two sets of Chinese for the price of the name brand tires... (replace them twice as often and break even...) Just sayin' hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Steve, good to know. I now found a chart that says I can use them on the rims I have safely. I also found Yokohamas that have great reviews from RVer's cheaper. Thinking order Yokos Friday.

posted Hide Post
Tooling AlongClick the emoji for the link.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I prefer oriental tires due to them aging better. On the rear I have Triangle brand from Asia reaching 9 years. No problems. Never had Michelin or GoodYear last that long. One set rotted away.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hmm java Thank you John for starting this Regency tire topic. Thumbs Up

My Data Tag calls for 155 80 22.5 tires. hmm Really? There are 255 80 22.5 on the Regency now.

Do we have any other Coaches riding on 22.5 rims with 155 tire size? Has any forum member noticed this size discrepancy on the data tag previously?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
John, I put this poll up several years ago..may be of some help.. I went w/ Toyos on my coach..

Tire Poll....

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M/C, thanks I'll take a look. Leaning towards Toyos, but Yokohamas looking good also. Decisions, decisions.

posted Hide Post
I think Kevin has a one of a kind data tag with a very rare tires size, like nonexistence tire size. That is something else there,

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Finding the 8 x 19.5s wasn't easy for me but when I needed fronts I got Toyos, which I had seen on a lot of trucks, but when I needed rears I couldn't get them and went with Sumi Tomos, because they were available and relatively cheap. I later found out they are a very good quality Japanese tire. I have a few years and a lot of miles on them and all 6 are holding up very well. I was losing air over time in a few of them but I got a valve wrench and tightened all the valve stems and now I never lose pressure.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post