Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Over Heat of Nose
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Over Heat of Nose
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it is coming along Tooling Along

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Every day is different in Nose world, the belt is now squealing in the driveway and on the road, and the voltage seems low was about 15 volts output, now just a bit over 13. I guess I will tighten the belt again, see what happens tomorrow. head bang

The fridge yesterday was working, today there is a bit of cool but not enough to keep food. I did build the upper open storage area inner cabinet above it today, have to find some doors somewhere, or build them myself. I really needed more dry storage area. Might make a wine rack!!!! cheers

Tom I bought some spark plug wires, that seem to do a good job, but if not I will get those ring terminals, thank you for the URL.

Tim all the belts have been raw edge belts, but many different brands. I did put a fabric edged belt on the power steering pump, because it was the only one of the correct length I could find. I might try that clay idea, at least on the harmonic and water pump, and check them to the alternator.

I am thinking about that battery separator, Has anyone just eliminated it from the charging system, thought I could just wire in a switch when I wanted to use the alternator to charge the house batteries. I would probably forget and leave it on!!! Actually a switch and a relay already exists in the form of an auxiliary start button with a light, might help my memory.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Duane there is couple other less expensive Barths for sale in the neighborhood.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dana:
Duane there is couple other less expensive Barths for sale in the neighborhood.

Dana, I do believe Nose has the potential to be the coach of my dreams. I like the way it goes down the road, a breeze to drive, powerful enough to pull my boat or toad. It is ugly and classic just like me, we could be a great match.

As I have said for the 2 years we have been together, if I could get the thing reliable, and mainly it is just silly stuff that happens.

When I feel comfortable with Nose I think I might add a TBI to eliminate the Vapor lock inherent to its age. I might also have to convert this v-belt to a flat belt set up with a tensioner for the alternator and power steering pump.

Next trip will be Minnesnowta in June!!! Unless Doorman and Homer decide to have a fall GTG in Ohio.

I feel this post by Dave Bowers is appropriate!!

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
I think that good natured and quality reports are good. I will not allow very criticle remarks to be made. I received an email once from someone who really felt a coach was junk. They ask if they should post that. Instead, I went to the owner and required pictures which showed that it was in poor condition. The only coaches which are wide open for rude comments are Treks and Winnebagos and such. Even the old and tired Barths must be treated with respect. They; probably more than the shinny ones have brought service and great adventure to someone.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Wrong pulley?
The Baby Barth in Apple Valley might be worth a look ...
BTW on ours we had the wrong alternator installed by previous mechanic

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
Wrong pulley?
The Baby Barth in Apple Valley might be worth a look ...
BTW on ours we had the wrong alternator installed by previous mechanic

I agree that seems to be good deal and there is certainly potential. nono

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I was just pointing out some interesting possibilities. You voiced that you were tempted to give up after the attempted Milford GTG.

I knew you should have tried harder to get to this years GTG Minnenowta. Those issues would have been much closer to take care of?

I am sure it was not punishment for giving me such a hard time about sending your rain back via the river. Shields Up ROTFLMAO

Did you check to make sure you didn’t run over a pig on the trip back from the failed Elkhart excursion? D'oh

You know I’m close enough to be a weekender visit for you.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I thought it was interesting how quickly a fuel filter can fill with rust and other gas related debris. In this picture you can see all that stuff, and the crushed inner filter, note how warm fuel allowed the inlet to droop. this one has only about 1000 miles on it.

Now regarding the nasty post from my friend up in Minnesnowta, So you were right I shoulda just got in Nose and made the Maiden Rock GTG. I do believe a visit to your area would be a great Idea, I could bring the boat, perhaps you know of a lake with a campground near you? I always wanted to fish that area. A good chance to check out the repairs I have made. I might spend a week day or two just so I can have a laugh as you go to work!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I have been checking out conversions to a serpentine belt for Nose they are about $400 to $1500, I can not find one with a belt tensioner, they all seem to want just tension like a V-belt, as SteveVW pointed out that is better, but a belt tensioner would be much better. Not sure I want to the change without a tensioner.

A Holley Stealth fuel injection system, after all is said and done would be about, $1500. Tooling Along

After doing those changes, Nose should be a reliable traveling fool!! Then I could do the stuff of creature comfort, new floor, head liner and exterior paint job. After that I would have a $15,000 coach worth maybe $5000, but a big Azz smile on my face!!! Oh add those fancy chrome wheels like Bennybob had, make that a $17000 coach worth $5000!

Then there is the labor involved, in Fixing the chassis heater system, radio upgrade (I have the radio and speakers), find a good place to mount the TV and finally fixing the cruise control. The list on one of these coaches that has not been well maintained by the PO's can be unending.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
It is time to end this thread, Nose is almost back to as it was before the Rusty GTG in Goshen. Although I am not sure the fan belt breakage is resolved or the fridge is 100%. I think I will wait until a new trip, perhaps Minnesnowta or Ohio is on the agenda to confirm the status of those two.

Thanks for all the words of support!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine