Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Over Heat of Nose
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Over Heat of Nose
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Sounds like progress Smiler

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Oh the saga of me and Nose continues.

So yesterday, I went to Michigan City and got ole nose started, surprising enough It ran pretty well, went for a test drive and seemed great!

I got a few miles down the road and I just did not have any power, thought I would change the Rochester filter, see if that was the problem, helped a bit but not good. I checked the fuel pressure developed by the electric pump and it measured zero. I was convinced that was the problem, but it ran without it working so I figured I would just go home on what power I had. Blew a fan belt again, so I thought I would let the Generator supply power to batteries and I wanted the A/c anyway. Genny started fine ran for about 2 minutes and quit,investigation revealed massive carb flooding, I did not have the stuff or the time to rebuild it, Had to run the alternator. I had 2 spare belts with me, I ran for a bout an hour, I took surface roads because I had so little power, and bang the belt went again. put on final belt, searched for the closest Walmart and drove straight there. It is now close to midnight and I still have 150 miles to home, unhooked the Miata and drove it home, figuring some sleep and I needed to make sure my spouse was doing ok. She can not hear the phone.

Today I get up after a few hours sleep and headed back to the Nose, was going to put in a new electric fuel pump and hopefully get the Barth home. Not to be, 20 miles down the road the Miata quits running. Luckily it quit one block from a garage, mechanic said the timing belt had given up, lucky again it is not and interference engine!!

Tomorrow the Saga continues!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my goodness ! I feel for you . You are gonna have to get rid of that Fairy and let your Guardian Angel take the wheel.

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
How about a TV series? Feel for you. But I had a Buick Wildcat once, never could get it running right, sold it and .... found out it had a small spot where the exhaust pipe got crushed/restricted and after the next owner fixed it it run fine.
Check your exhaust pipes for restrictions.

We are doctering on our 1987 F150 for a month now. It is frustrating.

Our Ultrastar MH with Cummins threw belts because someone mounted a pulley in the wrong mounting hole. On the Barth we had an alternator with the wrong grooves vs. belt.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Sorta off topic, but timing belts are only good for about 100K miles. Most of the 4 cylinder overhead cam engines use a timing belt. They are easy to change. If you have an interference engine and it breaks, you may need a new engine.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
interference engine

Well what do you know!! I never heard of an interference engine before. I now understand bent valves and hammered pistons in one of my Corvairs (140 HP),timing problem.
This must have been prevelent among the breed, Chevy covered the cost of repair. How-a-bout that! a light comes on after 50+ years. Click

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
The Saga continues, Nose is parked in front of my house, the Miata is on the dolly behind it, my behind is dragging!!!

The drive to Nose was one of the worse I have been in the jam-up in Joliet was awful, and I never did see the cause.

When I did finally get there, I check the electric fuel pump and it was working fine, Looked the engine over and 3 plug wires had come off the plugs, new set of Delco wires, THEY KEPT COMING OFF DIFFERENT PLUGS DURING THE WHOLE TRIP, JUNK, HAVE TO GET AOTHER BRAND. I took the generator carburetor apart. I guess the float just stuck open, causing the flooding, flip floped it a few times seemed to work put it back together. Ran it for 6 hours the whole trip home.

loosened the fan belt up and disconnected the alternator, used the generator for battery charging the trip home, left it loose so it yelped a lot and finally it gave up 20 miles from home, replaced it had 2 spares.

The old vapor lock plagued me almost the entire trip, I should have replaced the electric fuel pump even though initially it checked good, as soon as the fuel got warm it had very low to zero pressure. I nursed it and as the sun went down and I refuel with some cool gas from an underground tank it limped home. Several stops to cool the fuel lines were required prior to getting gas and cooler air.

So now I need to figure out the fan belt problem, new spark plug wires, replace the electric and manual fuel pumps. Install the fridge from SteveVW..

By the way the engine worked fine sounded great, I do need to adjust the stuck valve lifters a bit noisy yet.

BTW Dick a 70% finished Euro is pretty good wish mine was that far .. Deadhorse

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Bravo, Duane! Tooling Along
So good to hear you made it back.

Run the belt tight so it can grip the crank pulley and water pump pulley, and leave the alt wiring disconnected. If belt is ok the alt must be dragging.

Good luck getting things back to stable.

I got side tracked a bit working on the VW but back to the coach soon.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful to hear you are safely home . Now you can tackle each problem on your time without pressure . We'll be waiting for the updates Smiler

Happy Piddling and Good Luck !

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Use your poetic license to add some sex and guns to the narrative - Hollywood will have you in a new OTB in no time. Truly had me sitting on the edge of my seat. Glad your home.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold,Cat&Sam:
Wonderful to hear you are safely home . Now you can tackle each problem on your time without pressure . We'll be waiting for the updates Smiler

!

yes indeed. You have been through A LOT!

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Duane, you should get some sort of prize for perseverance. Many would have just given up and had it hauled to the junk yard. So, it looks like you and 'Nose' are joined at the hip.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the kind words...Got nose on the ramps today and started cleaning up the mess I made of the interior in the last few weeks. Start the repair work soon!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Duane,check the alignment of the drive and driven pulleys on the alternator when you get the chance.
Great saga, keep up the great work and posts.
Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Day 1 of at home ROTFLMAO

So got all the tools back in the garage tool box. what a mess, finished installing the fridge from Steve and started it up propane, it is not level the passenger side is on ramps so it may not work but I will see tomorrow.

Looking for new spark plug wires I want a set that will really grip the plugs and fit my fiberglass heat protectors.

I think its time for a few days off going to go Bass fishing!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine