Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Over Heat of Nose
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Over Heat of Nose
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Duane, I understand, the three I did were on concrete, on stands and 40+ years ago.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Duane, I understand, the three I did were on concrete, on stands and 40+ years ago.

After reading SteveVWs' rebuild of his old 454 I am not going to do that, I am 15 years older than he was!

I did read where his timing chain was loose and the gears were worn. With the symptoms I am experiencing That seems to be a very real possibility, So if the compression check is ok my bet is that is the problem. Hard to start, missing, high idle adjustment just to keep running at normal RPM.

I already replaced the radiator, water pump, alternator, and power steering pump so I know what pulling the front of the engine apart is going to take. I might consider that job. All depends on the compression check!! Another 6 hours to Indiana and back, oh well!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
After checking Ebay and all the parts stores and repair shops in the area, I did find a set of heads fresh off a working engine from a mechanic I trust, same guy that tested the Rochester, old school hot rod guy only works on stuff he likes. He will take $200 for the pair that is cheaper than a valve job. He says he has a top engine gasket kit he will sell cheap too.

Need to do that compression test!!! Trips back and forth are not fun wish I knew a reasonable tow service to bring Nose back to Iowa.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
It would definitely be better if you had it home .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold,Cat&Sam:
It would definitely be better if you had it home .

I checked with my insurance company they said submit the towing bill. They will not pay it all but "might" pay some of it, I do have towing on my policy, but they say it is only as far as a local repair shop. Well anything will help I guess.

Nose will run but do I dare take the chance it will go 200 miles and through Chicago traffic, 50 additional miles if I try to avoid Chicago and it will take at least double the time. Midnight trip!! Will I do additional damage if I attempt the trip...Thinking out loud!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that if you try to drive , you may do significant engine damage and still end up with a towing bill .
I guess the big question would be : would the towing bill be close to what the cost of having it repaired where it is ?

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold,Cat&Sam:
I'm thinking that if you try to drive , you may do significant engine damage and still end up with a towing bill .
I guess the big question would be : would the towing bill be close to what the cost of having it repaired where it is ?

That is really a good point, I am sure if the rings are gone the repair bill far exceeds the cost of the coach itself. Might be same if the cam is shot. I could replaced the heads myself. I hope I can determine exactly what is wrong, then I can make a good cost effective decision.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Another trip to Michigan City. Did the compression test and I have a definite answer as to my 454 engine problem. Cylinders numbers 7 & 8 have stuck open exhaust valves. The boat yard mechanic was able to scope both of them and confirmed the problem.
Heat must have some how burned the oil off the stem and they jammed.

So I was curious, just day dreaming on the trip back to Iowa, I wonder if I just beat on top off valves after soaking them in penetrating oil. Even if I get it loose I am not sure I would trust it long term probably leak oil down the stem.

As I said earlier I do have access to set of good heads with Valves and springs and a gasket set for the top end.

I am quite sure I do not have the strength to lift the heads or even the intake manifold from the engine through the dog house. So I have to make some kind of an apparatus to lift them. An "A" frame of some kind I guess, then a device to slide them to the door. Has anyone else attempted this, I know SteveVW did this job if you read this perhaps you have a better idea, perhaps an estimate of how long it might take also. At least I do not need to worry about breaking the exhaust manifold bolts if I replace the heads.

So a longer stay next trip, I decided I am going to try and fix ole nose..Oh well!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Take out the plugs and drive home on 6 cylinders? hmm

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
Duane, if you lubed the stems before you left, they might have popped closed already, you could tap the top of the valve spring keepers but I would use a block of pine between the keepers and the hammer.
ken

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Take out the plugs and drive home on 6 cylinders? hmm

The problem with this is of course when the intake valve opens the vacuum in the manifold will pull in air from the cylinder not fuel mixture from the carburetor yukky on the good cylinders.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kenny j:
Duane, if you lubed the stems before you left, they might have popped closed already, you could tap the top of the valve spring keepers but I would use a block of pine between the keepers and the hammer.
ken

Kenny, I wish I had been smart enough to do as you suggest with penetrating oil before leaving for Iowa!! Going to give it a try to free them, SteveVW also thinks I have a good chance of getting them to work again without pulling the heads. I will use wood between the top of valve and the hammer as you say or maybe I can get a brass hammer!! Hope to get back over there before the end of the week. Steve also suggests prying between the spring coils carefully, and sideways tapping on the spring keeper all around the periphery.

Would be fantastic if this works, and well worth a trip to give it a try. I just did not consider it a valid answer until you guys offered up,,,,Thanks so much!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping you can get the valves free. If not, you could probably remove both pushrods from the dead cylinders (leave the plugs in) and run it on 6 cylinders. With valves closed the dead ones won't rob the good ones. Good luck.

Like Red Green says: "We're all rootin' for ya!"

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
I'm hoping you can get the valves free. If not, you could probably remove both pushrods from the dead cylinders (leave the plugs in) and run it on 6 cylinders. With valves closed the dead ones won't rob the good ones. Good luck.

Like Red Green says: "We're all rootin' for ya!"

That is a 200+ mile trip on 6 cylinders, do you think it could fill a cylinder with oil, and push it into the exhaust system. I guess that would not hurt. Do it at midnight and keep the speed low, try to stay on 4 lane hi-ways until I get west of Chicago then I-80 not much traffic on it until the Quad City area and I can veer north before that. Do you think I would make it?

Might push some of that hot oil into the valve stem area and free it up. If that were to happen it could hydraulic close with oil in the system and compressed air..oh oh!! If I were to leave the plug out and remove the push rod, a bit of exhaust might come out through the spark plug hole when it is pulled into the cylinder, would that pose a threat to the cylinder itself? If the exhaust valve were to close it would pump air and road grime in and out, not a good thing I would guess.

I still have not identified the alternator belt breakage, so that is still a problem, I could disconnect the alternator and run the generator to keep the batteries charged. Sounds risky doesn't it??

The best thing that could happen is for the valves to free up and run home on all eight!!!! Oh Thinking out loud again!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So I got over to Michigan City again today, Although I did not get Nose running yet I did get the valves freed up.. Smiler. I bought a plastic coated heavy hammer and after I sprayed penetrating oil on the exhaust valves in cylinders 7 and 8 and did some tappy, tappy on them, with no success, I really started to beat on the suckers. I sprayed them some more and went to lunch. While out a bought a 2 pound steel hammer with a 18 inch handle. Do not tell KennyJ. I did not use any pine. I tapped on 8 in all directions and on top so I gave up on the tap tap and gave it good crack, and another I heard it snap free. cheers 7 was a lot more trouble due to its location but after a similar beating maybe a bit more it also broke free. Both make compression, I have not checked how much yet, think I will not at this time just see if I can get back to Iowa.

Next trip will be like the midnight ride of Paul Revere. Try to avoid the Chicago traffic as best I can and it is the shortest trip, still Probably five hours at Nose speed.

My dolly is in Michigan City was taking it to Goshen, the only vehicle I can tow is the Miata the rest are all wheel drive, so I have been driving it back and forth, the trip in it takes a bit over 3 hours, but in Chicago the traffic does between 80 and 90 unless there is a jam-up. By driving back at night I hope to avoid them and nose does not do 90 mph, well if Benebob were driving it maybe!! If I break down I will have the Miata for back up...

P30 chassis
350 engine